Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #131  
I used to go ice fishing in the lake behind my parent's house starting when I was about 10 years old. Some years I could get on right after Thanksgiving and last ice was usually the end of March. Then as years have gone by, I could get on between Christmas and New Years and last ice was mid-March. Now, in the past 10 years, I haven't been able to get on the ice until mid-late January and last ice is first of March. The past 2 years, the lake has not frozen over completely. Several people have fallen through and drown.

I've also had to mow my lawn around Thanksgiving that past couple years. We used to stop mowing in late September.

And, we've had extensive fruit damage in spring because things warm up so early that the fruit buds, but we get some late freezes and that nips that in the bud, so to speak.

Spring is about 4 weeks earlier and fall lasts about 4 weeks longer. Winter seems about 6 weeks shorter in total.

I use less and less firewood to heat the house since I installed the woodburner 15 years ago. It's just not as cold.

I only shoveled/plowed the driveway three times last winter and twice the winter before that. It used to be an almost weekly chore.

So, yes, I see evidence of something changing here in the past 50 years.
One of the most interesting challenges I have with getting old, I feel like I have seen it all. Things have changed a lot in the last 50 years here as well. The thing I have to remind myself, I am 50 something, living in 100 year, inside 300 year, inside 1,000 year climate cycles. I can remember my grand parents telling me it is as hot as it has ever been, and my parents telling me they had never seen this much snow:)

Best,

ed

/ Earth's Hottest Month #134  
For whatever it’s worth, I’m about an hour/hour thirty minutes from this lovely little place.

DEATH VALLEY, CA – Yesterday at 3:41 PM PDT (Sunday, August 16, 2020), a temperature of 130°F was recorded at Furnace Creek in Death Valley National Park. If verified, this will be the hottest temperature recorded on Earth in nearly a century.

On July 10th, 1913, the highest recorded temperature on earth was observed at Furnace Creek (formerly Greenland Ranch) at 134°F. On July 12th and 13th, 1913, other observations of 130°F and 131°F were recorded at Furnace Creek, respectively.

To verify this reading, the National Weather Service will test the sensor at Furnace Creek to verify that it is working correctly, and a climate extremes committee will be convened to verify the data.

Temperatures this week are forecast to continue a heat trend, with another 130°F temperature possible today (104°F for the low), and temperatures in the 120s for the rest of the week.

Over the past months and years, Death Valley National Park has set a number of daily and monthly heat records, and temperatures this week look to continue that trend.

“Working at a park that is the hottest place on Earth is really exciting,” said Park Superintendent Mike Reynolds. “We definitely come together as a community to celebrate these records and the uniqueness of living here but also quickly learn not to touch metal surfaces, like car doors, that have been out in the sun.”

When visiting Death Valley National Park during extreme heat conditions such as these, please plan ahead and take proper precautions to ensure a safe visit. It is not uncommon for vehicles to overheat in the summer here, so packing extra gallons of water, a shade tarp, salty snacks, and other survival gear are important. Minimize any time spent outdoors, and use long-sleeved, lightweight cotton clothing, sunscreen, and sun hats to keep the sun off from skin. More safety information can be found on our website at: Safety - Death Valley National Park (U.S. National Park Service).

/ Earth's Hottest Month #135  
Stayed at Furnace Creek when it was 119 and went for a dip in the pool...

Step out and instant dry...

/ Earth's Hottest Month #136  
No it doesn’t, but losing all our industrial capacity isn’t acceptable, either.
In my estimation, America losing it's industrial capacity to China had far more to do with the wages the Chinese people are willing to work for compared to wages Americans are willing to work for. American pollution control requirements is a contributor, along with other factors, but they are relatively insignificant compared to wages.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #137  
The problem is the “experts” seem to demand we agree with them that the earth is warming and their science is 100% irrefutable.
Only an idiot would think that scientific experts are 100% irrefutable. Even a credible scientific expert wouldn't believe that for a second. The definition of science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment". As the systematic study continues over time, more information is found, or is better understood, scientific opinion changes accordingly. There is also the peer review system associated with credible science that looks at science from many different angles and mostly sifts out the pseudo-scientists.

There is no doubt the the "experts" are not 100% correct. They never are and never will be. But I would trust their opinion far above opinion that of some person who bases their opinions on what they would like to believe.

No one is demanding that you agree with anyone. You obviously appreciate the necessity and value of thinking for yourself. Hopefully you will do it with an open mind and never convince yourself that you, or anyone else is absolutely correct.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #138  
So the biggest problem with collecting the earth's temperature is that it is basically taking a bunch of samples from selected places and averaging them. Sounds rational until you grasp the scope of how big the planet is....just yesterday, the temperature at DFW was 87 at about 3pm. My car said it was 79 only 15 minutes away. Even accounting for the assumption that my car was off by a couple of degrees, that is huge when you consider the small differences that are considered
significant. In case you were wondering, my car had been sitting out all day while I was in my classroom and this is in a suburb, not my country place.

The long and the short of it is that unless they could monitor everything at once, they are getting skewed data. People choose the locations, people have biases. Also, if you understand physical Geography, you will know that when the earth heats up in one place, the reaction will tend to cool somewhere else. That is why despite record highs in some places, we are 5-10 degrees cooler every day this summer compared to ' normal'. However, since us being cooler is not news, it gets ignored. Panic sells. Once 'science' became more about grants and politics, it can be hard to differentiate between agendas and useful data.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #139  
I don't know about you, but I know I am doing O.K. I don't personally know of anyone in our family/friends group that is unemployed due to no jobs available. Employers cannot find enough people to work. There are thousands and thousands of unfilled positions in the U.S.

I am glad that I can drive through (make that around) Gary, IN on my travels to Chicago and back and not choke on the air like I did in the 60s.
man oh man

gary had a special kind of reek to it. had to drive straight through prior to freeways

/ Earth's Hottest Month #140  
In my estimation, America losing it's industrial capacity to China had far more to do with the wages the Chinese people are willing to work for compared to wages Americans are willing to work for. American pollution control requirements is a contributor, along with other factors, but they are relatively insignificant compared to wages.
Agree, but ”insignificant“?
No
Regulation is very significant
I bet it’s top 3.
Taxes, wages and regulations is why everything went to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.