Echo CS 490 no start

/ Echo CS 490 no start #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I hate to be that guy, but my lightly used Echo CS 490 won't start. Running when put away, now, nothing. I have spark- and new spark plug. Won't even fire when dosed with ether starting fluid. Kill switch is working properly. I'm at a loss. The gas isn't a problem- other chainsaw is working fine. Any suggestions are appreciated!

/ Echo CS 490 no start #2  
Following... My CS590 can be a real pain to start. If I pull it once with the switch off (derp), it instantly floods.
Web searches have said "choke on until you hear a small pop, then [varies] either choke off or half-choke".

/ Echo CS 490 no start #5  
Pull the spark plug and put a small squirt of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder. Then try it.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #6  
Never use starting fluid on any chainsaw. You'll score the bore.
I've used starting fluid all day every day on two strokes. I spray into exhaust though. If I can get it to hit one time, she'll run.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #7  
You can remove plug. Twist up a paper towel. Light it and put in cylinder to burn off any flooding.

You could have a bad fuel line. They is badly about splitting or just breaking. Primer bubble good? I spray starting fluid in the exhaust. That seems to make the diaphragm in carb start acting right. If you don't have a bad fuel line. Just because a plug fires does not mean it's good. I changed five in a row once. Ran different each time. I was running a lawn shop in Texarkana.

/ Echo CS 490 no start
Yeah, I've heard that spraying starting fluid is a bad idea... but a small spray followed by mixed gas operation seemed, to me, to be okay? Maybe a bad idea. Anyway, gas is fresh, there's no primer bulb on the CS490. It's always started cold with some difficulty, but restarts after running with one pull.

I'll try the 2 cycle oil squirt, see if that helps anything. It's getting gas- the plug is wet after several attempts- but not badly flooded. I've had this saw for 5-6 years, so I know its habits. Most of my sawing is done with a 16" CS 370- I save this one for bigger cutting. Just firewood, mostly ash since Emerald Ash borers killed hundreds of trees around us.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #9  

This is where I got the idea when mine had this problem.

/ Echo CS 490 no start #10  
So you getting mix to you plug? Have you ever pulled the EPA stops off carb so you could adjust it right? They come so lean sometimes from echo it makes them hard to start.
Was plug wet when pulled? Possible flooded? Pull plug and let dry out 24hrs.

Have you checked spark?

Please do not use starter fluid. Look at one inside crankcase that has had starter fluid used on it sometime. That alone will tell you dont do it. Get you a oil squirt bottle and use mix. I have 2 I use for bench.

e490pp.jpg

e490affix.jpg