Educate me a bit on torches

/ Educate me a bit on torches #21  
Lot of the LWS restrict the size they allow cylinders sold to the public. Making getting a set big enough to use a rosebud difficult. I use a large cutting tip in place of rosebud to heat metal. Maybe not ideal but a common practice. Have coal and propane forges if needed.

If I were buying today probably propane instead of acetylene would be cheaper, safer? and better. Can cut, heat and braze. Can’t weld steel unless you forge weld.

Where to you learn to be safe? Good question. I had good fortune of a great high school shop class, mentors and craftsman along the way. Not an expert just know enough to be dangerous. Have eight different compressed gases in the shop. Different uses and safety considerations for each.

Cutting steel with OA is a chemical process taking advantage of iron’s super power. Each element, which are mostly metals, have a unique trait. Hardest, lightest, heaviest, most malleable, strongest, …. Iron’s is that its’ oxide melts lower temp than the metal. Above a critical temperature iron is oxidized, releasing heat and melts away. Also a feature that helps us red blooded creatures transport oxygen in our bodies.

A foundry has to put back energy into iron oxide (ore) to make iron metal.

I’m like many that my OA rig can sit for years without use. Have other tooling options now. But when needed a real useful tool.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #22  
The Brits are thinking you are asking about flashlights...😜

/ Educate me a bit on torches #23  
I’m sure the welding site has more information on using and owning a OA rig. Several fatalities and injuries per year.

It has gotten kind of expensive to use OA. Once a common tool in any mechanical shop. Consumables cost, maintenance, regulations, new technology and insurance is pushing it’s extinction.

Recently had a oxygen regulator go bad, Victor, >30-40 years old. Also had a second bad regulator. Took them to the trusted, large LWS. No longer rebuild regulators. Only sell new. A comparable new was $400. Been dealing with this shop for as long. While talking about the changing times an older employee asked to look at regulators and took them back to the work bench. There he completely rebuilt the regulators and tested compete with new gauges. Could tell he had done this a thousand times. Saying once the supply of parts are gone their gone. He was suppose to throw the parts away. How much do I owe? “Nothing. We don’t rebuild regulators any more.” Gave him a $40 tip. Times they are changing.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #24  
I’m sure the welding site has more information on using and owning a OA rig. Several fatalities and injuries per year.

It has gotten kind of expensive to use OA. Once a common tool in any mechanical shop. Consumables cost, maintenance, regulations, new technology and insurance is pushing it’s extinction.

Recently had a oxygen regulator go bad, Victor, >30-40 years old. Also had a second bad regulator. Took them to the trusted, large LWS. No longer rebuild regulators. Only sell new. A comparable new was $400. Been dealing with this shop for as long. While talking about the changing times an older employee asked to look at regulators and took them back to the work bench. There he completely rebuilt the regulators and tested compete with new gauges. Could tell he had done this a thousand times. Saying once the supply of parts are gone their gone. He was suppose to throw the parts away. How much do I owe? “Nothing. We don’t rebuild regulators any more.” Gave him a $40 tip. Times they are changing.
I think you are spot on.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #25  
Another pixie dust in Kroil thread.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #26  

And who's responsible? Lawyers. By today's standards of liability,if someone drench's themself with gasoline and light's it,ExxonMobile can be held liable because warning label on pump isn't large enough.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #27  
And who's responsible? Lawyers. By today's standards of liability,if someone drench's themself with gasoline and light's it,ExxonMobile can be held liable because warning label on pump isn't large enough.
Yeah! and besides that, it is just a general attractive nuisance. The stuff should be banned as it is hazardous for humans. Especial if they drink it or douse themselves with it. :)

/ Educate me a bit on torches #28  
Torch can be fairly precision and it gets be
channel cuts.JPG
channel cuts 2.JPG
tter than this with a little practice.

/ Educate me a bit on torches #30  
... Though my project is now done, I went to replace the blades on my flexwing mower. Prior owner said they were original. If true, that means something like 20 years old.

I'm a persistent little cuss..... ultimately getting out the 7" grinder with diamond blade and cut two of them off. I flogged, beat, heated, sprayed, cussed at the other four and they finally came off.

I had a 1 11/16th's 3/4" drive socket. Only had 1/2" breaker.... snapped a 4" Craftsman extension clean in half (when at the time I also worked my 4x torque multiplier into the equation)
What kind of tanks & tips (as in ends of the wand for the flame) would you recommend? Also...what issue is there with this likely having to be stored either in the garage or, out in the woods in a clearing where we keep implements? (I'm guessing the wisdom would say keep tanks out there and keep hoses/regulators in garage, which strikes me as logical)
A couple of points not covered very well, or not at all:

First: I would not be storing tanks in the woods or in a clearing. They are very safe as long as they cannot be knocked over. I'm not sure what your other options may be, but you mentioned garage - that's where I would recommend. Definitely not inside the house. Remember, you are working with fire.

Second: on the subject of your flexwing. I broke my Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar as well. I found the price of a no-name 3/4" wrench is a much better solution. I now use a 1/2" Milwaukee battery powered impact wrench with adapter from 1/2 to 3/4. In your description, I'm guessing that those blade bolt-nuts were troublesome? I suggest two actions. Add good rust penetrant on the nuts as soon as you know you will be messing with them. Not WD-40. Depending on how long the nuts have been sitting, allow many minutes, up to a day, or even daily refresh if necessary to allow the penetrant to work. Here's the clincher: the ones I have are LEFT hand threaded. My breaker bar was broken with a 6 foot cheater pipe because I didn't know that. The bolts seem to be high grade, but the nuts seem to be lower grade and even get rust pitting. Often the bolts can continue to be re-used, but you will want new nuts.