Educate me a bit on torches

/ Educate me a bit on torches #41  
First off…regarding tanks and Rosebuds. If you’re not a welder or don’t plan on doing any welding, chances are it will be a tool used 1-2x a year. Rosebuds - if you’re not a welder by trade, you don’t need them.
Tanks. Contrary to popular belief, they shouldn’t be stored with everything hooked up and the tanks themselves should be separated and not stored together. The only tool you need to take the cover off the top of a tank is a small hammer - don’t use a prybar, a punch or screwdriver to twist the top off. NEVER use WD-40, penetrating oil or any other kind of aerosol to help lubricate the threads of the metal covers/caps.
So, if you don’t need them, you’re probably better off spending money on a Milwaukee M18 1/2” or 3/4” High Torque Impact (w/ a large battery 8.0 or 12.0). If you need more “uhmph” than that, you’re next bet would be Snap-on 1/2” or 3/4” Air Impact. If none of these items are in your budget then a set of certified tanks, hoses, reg, cart and tips shouldn’t have been either.

The next best option other than PB is a can of “Freeze Off” by CRC. You can hit bolt with a standard Propane Torch or even spend a couple extra bucks and use a can of MAP Gas (with the appropriate torch). Once it’s nice and glowing red (as should be the tip of the MAP torch if you’re using it correctly) then spray some freeze off and let science do its thing. Try this a couple times and you will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

image.jpg

If trying to use a 1/2” wrench on the blade bolts for a bush hog or in your case flex wing mower, no amount of heat is going to help. Those (like your backhoe) are “big boy bolts” and are secured around 200-400 lbft. That’s when an air impact or 3/4”-1” breaker bar with a long cheater pipe attached to it is needed.

*check out this video for more basic torch cutting infohttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuMDxYeqZ4&list=PLfXTAihUO_B1Mve3R_W7oceWl6N_5ac5Q&index=4

/ Educate me a bit on torches #42  
If trying to use a 1/2” wrench on the blade bolts for a bush hog or in your case flex wing mower, no amount of heat is going to help. Those (like your backhoe) are “big boy bolts” and are secured around 200-400 lbft. That’s when an air impact or 3/4”-1” breaker bar with a long cheater pipe attached to it is needed.
or more!

Bushhog BH215

1630276833963.png

/ Educate me a bit on torches #43  
Back to torches.... This booklet is most informative about torches and fuels ... Later versions have different covers, probably available at local welding suppliers...View attachment 711322
Unless I'm mistaken, an electronic version of that book also looks to be freely available from ESAB at:

2009 version (multiple languages): http://pdfmanuals.esab.com/private/Library/InstructionManuals/BrandsVictor/0056-3260_C.pdf

2017 version (English only): http://pdfmanuals.esab.com/private/Library/InstructionManuals/BrandsVictor/0056-3260_AG.pdf

can also be found by searching their manuals.