Educate me on having cattle

/ Educate me on having cattle #81  
I have lived for 42+ years in the middle of ranchers with cattle. One large rancher on my north - another on my south. There is NO WAY I would wish to have anything to do with raising cattle. Not at my age - 80.

From what I've seen it's a never ending job. 24/7/365. Fencing - feeding - rearing - vet services - weather concerns - unexpected costs - grazing concerns. It is a constant job with so very many pit falls.

Around here it's a family business. Passed down from father to son - etc. VERY FEW go directly into ranching as an initial business venture.
You could not be more right ! It is never ending. You left out (at least for me) fertilizing ($$$) to grow hay, or buy hay ($$$), you did say feeding so I stand corrected. Then, there is hauling to auction, another joy getting them in the pen and culled out. Of course, you need a cattle trailer (keeping tires, registration) (more$$). Of course, more fertilization ($$) for pastures, spraying weeds (more equipment for that) and herbicide costs.
In a nutshell, at least around here, the ONLY people I know who actually make money are those with multiple pastures leased and 100+ head, and those who do not bother to add all the costs associated with cattle ranching and just look at the check from the auction house (which, they know they lose money, but still make believe).However, everyone I know around here with > 20 acres has cattle. There is no other practical way to get AG value on property.
>> Around here it's a family business. Passed down from father to son - etc. VERY FEW go directly into ranching as an initial business venture.
Yep.

/ Educate me on having cattle #82  
Love this place no matter the subject the collective says you should not do it because it's work and looses money. Just pay someone else......
From cutting grass to wood, from chickens to cattle always the same. I'm out...going feed the cattle and kill a deer. NOT paying someone to butcher it either.

Not about money all about a way of life.

/ Educate me on having cattle
I'm not expecting to make money on cattle. It's not even in the plans. We want to have them, so I'm going to spend a massive amount of money to make it happen. If I told you how much I have into my dogs, their fencing, vet bills and even a mini van to haul them around, you would think I'm insane. But before I bought the land, I used to party a lot, travel a lot, and spend money like crazy without anything to show for it. Now I have a farm, tractors, a nice house and enough money to build what I want. Time is my biggest issue, but I'd rather spend my time building things, then going to parties or bars. Fortunately, my wife feels the same as I do.

/ Educate me on having cattle #84  
I'm not expecting to make money on cattle. It's not even in the plans. We want to have them, so I'm going to spend a massive amount of money to make it happen. If I told you how much I have into my dogs, their fencing, vet bills and even a mini van to haul them around, you would think I'm insane. But before I bought the land, I used to party a lot, travel a lot, and spend money like crazy without anything to show for it. Now I have a farm, tractors, a nice house and enough money to build what I want. Time is my biggest issue, but I'd rather spend my time building things, then going to parties or bars. Fortunately, my wife feels the same as I do.

Honestly, in my heart I knew this is what you were going to do.
I had many people tell me I was crazy when I told them I was going into farming and property maintenance and letting go of a successful construction business. I still do some construction, but it went from 80% construction and 20% farming to 75% farming and 25% property maintenance & construction.

Following your dream usually results in a lot more happiness.

It’s what America is all about, and hopefully we can fight to keep it that way.

Go for it, Eddie. It’ll be a bit of a struggle, but the old saying is true: Do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life!

/ Educate me on having cattle #85  
Honestly, in my heart I knew this is what you were going to do.
I had many people tell me I was crazy when I told them I was going into farming and property maintenance and letting go of a successful construction business. I still do some construction, but it went from 80% construction and 20% farming to 75% farming and 25% property maintenance & construction.

Following your dream usually results in a lot more happiness.

It’s what America is all about, and hopefully we can fight to keep it that way.

Go for it, Eddie. It’ll be a bit of a struggle, but the old saying is true: Do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life!
In general OK, but there will be days that you ask yourself what in the he** am I doing this for. :D
:ROFLMAO: :p

/ Educate me on having cattle #86  
I hear from many who are into farming. Yes, it is a way of life - like being in the poorhouse. FORTUNATELY - those who I know the best are still into farming because they like that way of life. AND they are very good at it.

Farming is a business. It can be a very tough/demanding business.

I'm not a farmer. I live out here in the sticks because it's a way of life I enjoy AND I can afford it.

/ Educate me on having cattle #87  
Now you sound like me. I got fed up with the rat race and bought a campground. We brought some critters and a few skills. Since then we have added a lot of livestock and learned a lot. Going full time homesteading in ~22 months. Love having my large pack of dogs and my ~dozen head herd of Dexter cattle, just good for the soul. Is it a money maker, no but we eat well and stay busy doing things we love. Best thing I ever did is to go from "rich" to poor but happy.

/ Educate me on having cattle #88  
I hear from many who are into farming. Yes, it is a way of life - like being in the poorhouse. FORTUNATELY - those who I know the best are still into farming because they like that way of life. AND they are very good at it.

Farming is a business. It can be a very tough/demanding business.

I'm not a farmer. I live out here in the sticks because it's a way of life I enjoy AND I can afford it.
I raise timber. The trees feed themselves and rarely jump the fence.

/ Educate me on having cattle #90  
Eddiewalker, just be glad you didn't get any of these.
They are the entire reason why the ancient Romans created Hadrian's Wall. :)

View attachment 770217
Nice story, but a bit far fetched - like the contents of the site from where your photo originated, unless it is used on more than one. I do acknowledge your smiley face.

I was born a few miles north of The Wall and many of us from there, but below the political Border, do not consider ourselves as English, The Wallbeing the border. The Wall is a long way south and east of where these cattle originate. I would be extremely surprised if any Roman ever ventured that far. I suppose you are aware of the foggy myths surrounding the Roman 9th Legion which went missing when sent north? Maybe they were eaten by these cattle!!