Educate me

/ Educate me #51  
Sadly, my only welding 'experience' is running and fetching for welders at my dad's shop when I was a lad. I know you cannot look directly at it without eye protection, and not much else.

I am wondering if it is worth learning a bit about welding (thinking a community college class or 2) so I can someone minor things for myself. In my head, I am thinking I may need to attach hook(s) to my bucket; d-rings or similar to the trailer.

What I would like to know from the community is two-fold. 1) what other things would I likely need to use welding for in my small retirement operation? 2) Do you think it is worth my time to learn at this point?

Thank
Sadly, my only welding 'experience' is running and fetching for welders at my dad's shop when I was a lad. I know you cannot look directly at it without eye protection, and not much else.

I am wondering if it is worth learning a bit about welding (thinking a community college class or 2) so I can someone minor things for myself. In my head, I am thinking I may need to attach hook(s) to my bucket; d-rings or similar to the trailer.

What I would like to know from the community is two-fold. 1) what other things would I likely need to use welding for in my small retirement operation? 2) Do you think it is worth my time to learn at this point?

Thanks,

T
I bought a mig welder and started sticking stuff together ...I talked to people who weld for a living and watched any videos I could find on the subject...that was 25+ years ago and today...I still can't weld like a pro but it's good enough for the farm (not pretty but welds hold).But if you have the time and money by all means take a class it can't hurt..I had neither back then...
'
s good enough for the farm

/ Educate me #52  
Yes, take the classes, even if they are only 'skills' classes, where they teach you the basics. Community Colleges are usually cheap. They supply the materials and equipment, so you get experience with a lot of different equipment and processes. Besides, it's a LOT of fun.

I took classes in my 40's, back about 2005. Don't regret it at all

/ Educate me #53  
Here's a couple pointers. The one thing that will make you a good welder as opposed to a bird shxt welder is seeing what your doing. Get as good a helmet as you can afford plus an extra 50 bucks. Next is a decent machine. I will strongly suggest 175 amp 220 volt machine. The little 110 welders have their place, but not for actually welding. Any of the name brand machines will be acceptable. Stay away from the off brand imported crap. You will outgrow it as soon as you learn to run a decent bead, if the machine will even run a decent bead at all.

/ Educate me #54  
but what I've just shared are memories I will never, ever forget. I'd bet money that you have a relative, friend, coworker, or neighbor that could teach you just like my Dad taught me.

You make a good point.

I've got a neighbor who's got a machine shop at his house. (probably cost $500K or more to build) He's 75+ and a widower. He's becoming a casual "+" friend. Though he has an assistant he pays..... I've thought about asking him if he'd mind if I hung out with them on the weekends to give him a chance to mentor me to some degree.

My logic being, he is a full sized book of information, experience, skill and wisdom. I'd be honored to absorb some of that book to carry it on after his time (or ability) arrives.

We've worked together on a couple projects. To be fair, he might have been playing to my ego, but he's made several comments that he likes how I think and some of the creative ways I've gotten to my results.

He's got a small house, several acres...all hidden from the road, then next to the house is his nice shop. All metal shop below and the upstairs has a full woodshop.

Heck, he even has a full sized (though it's a small example) tug-boat in one of his bays as one of his toys. Now, who the dickens, in East Tennessee, has a tugboat in their shop?? (he was a licensed Tug operator in his younger days)

At one time, had a Rolls Royce jet engine in his shop.

He definately has some interesting things going on and I'd love to mooch some of the knowledge.

/ Educate me #55  
By all means, learn from the local community college if you can. I took a night class there back in the 70's and they covered a wide spectrum of what I needed to know, and about all kinds of welding. Probably the best bang-for-the-buck I got in education. At the time, I think the class cost $25 for 10 weeks at one night per week.

Proper education of any kind is never a waste.

/ Educate me #56  

Thanks,

T
Definitely go to a night course offering hands on training. You will experience different types of welders and different types of materials and different types of positions. You good pal who knows how to weld and will show you probably does not have these abilities. You will gain information that will last a lifetime. And. hopefully, give you the knowledge of what to avoid in order to stay alive. I have never been a welder, my background is engineering. I did take one of those night courses, 'just in case'. I ended up owning a commercial Hobart MIG machine, a Miller TIG machine and a set of tanks so I can braze. You never know what life will bring or what you'll need. Get knowledge.

/ Educate me #57  
Something you'll notice when people talk about welding without any training is the claim of how strong their weld is, even though it's ugly, or doesn't look strong. When you take a class, you will be taught what happens when a weld is done properly, and why a strong weld looks pretty.

An ugly weld is never a strong weld.

/ Educate me #58  
I worked as a pipe welder/fitter for 42 years.Used all types of machines and materials.Nothing wrong with gaining a little knowledge.
I would start you with a stick welder:AC/DC 220 volt machine and lots of scrap mild steel.Keep your rods "dry",a simple bulb in a box will do.
I also taught our apprentices and in the NYS prison system;take a basic class for sure and wear ALL the safety gear.

/ Educate me #59  
There is not a time when I repaired something when I wasn’t mindful of the fact that I didn’t have to pay for the repair or be sidelined waiting for someone to come and do it for me. I learned over 40 years ago in high school. There are other skills to learn as well - cutting with the torch, brazing and silver soldering. All useful and part of being self sufficient

/ Educate me #60  
20 years ago one of our local high school welding instructor offered a 4 week evening class introductory to welding. I always wanted to be able to weld and braze after working on a wheat ranch right out of high school. Took the class and one of the first things he said was that if you learn to weld with acetylene you can weld with anything. I found a used set of acetylene, bought it and used what I learned in class to make a metal welding table out of some scrap I had plus a few new pieces of steel. Also made a forge using a weed burner. A little later bought at wirefeed welder from Harbor Freight for under $200 and have been welding lots of stuff. I've saved many dollars repairing broken farm equipment and made a few custom parts. Right now I'm making a frog out of some old horseshoes. Taking a class I think is the best way to go but supplement it with U-Tube and books from the library.