Electric motor

/ Electric motor #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
I have no ideal where to ask this ? , so I'll try here.
Have a westinghouse 1/3 hp, 1725 rpm, 115/230,and style 308P185-A. I have looked on the net and can't find anything. What I need is some ideal how to wire it for 115. Here is a picture of the wires. One looks yellow, but its white.

Hope there are some electric motor guys out there. BTY there is no wiring help on the motor itself like most.

Thanks, Lee

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    555.2 KB · Views: 174
   / Electric motor #2  
I had a question on a motor and took it over to a local motor rebuilder. The guy hooked it up on his test stand for me and showed me how to wire it. Only charged me $20.

/ Electric motor #3  
Use an ohm meter and find the three different windings. Pair the runs together and try it as the odds are 50/50 they will buck each other. If so swap the polarity of one main winding.

/ Electric motor #4  
Thats odd. Motor is probably pre-nema. The only 4-wire motors I have seen are single voltage only. Usually get 6 or 8 wires for the dual voltage. But I think that is also cause most are reversible, and that one may not be.

HArd to say if wire color is an accurate guide if the motor is pre-nema. Do any of the leads have numbers on them by chance?

Blue should be #1
White should be #2
Yellow should be #4
Black should be #5

Not counting extra wires used for reversing or starting that would normally be there too, and only looking at those 4.....

For 115v Hot would go to 1, neutral to 2,4&5
For 230v L1 goes to 1, L2 goes to 4&5 and 2 gets capped off

And that would be CCW rotation based on the wire colors to numbers by todays NEMA standards.

Again, this is just my best guess. I like Beezfuns idea of taking it to a shop. Very interested in seeing what you end up finding out...

here is a good link Motor Connection Diagrams

/ Electric motor #5  
Since it's a fractional HP, and only has 4 leads, if it is labeled for dual voltage, it must only have 2 windings. Ohm out the windings, and parallel connect them to 120 V. If it spins backward, swap the polarity on 1 of the pairs.

/ Electric motor
buickanddeere I ran a ohms test and could only get 2 lead to read. I'm thinking now the motor might not be any good!

LD1 I'm going to try like you said and see what happens.

arlen4720 like I said before I could only get 2 leads to give me a reading, but well do the test again.

BeezFun if the above doesn't work well try to find a shop.

Thanks for the help well try all the above. If you see a bright glow over MO. it's only me.

/ Electric motor #7  
I wouldn't spend much time on it, and no money....it's a 40 or 50 dollar motor new (at best).
Does it have a capacitor? That could be messing with your ohm readings on one set of windings.

/ Electric motor
I wouldn't spend much time on it, and no money....it's a 40 or 50 dollar motor new (at best).
Does it have a capacitor? That could be messing with your ohm readings on one set of windings.[/QUOTE

It could of had a capacitor and reason I say that is because 2 leads had spade connector on them. I'm not going to spend any money on it, after thinking about it and what you guys are saying. I didn't understand why I was only getting reading on 2 leads and not real sure yet why, but the capacitor missing is maybe why.

/ Electric motor
Well I did some checking then I tried hooking power to it. There was no bright glow over MO., but I went through the shop over head door. Thank god it was a cheap door. No just kidding, the motor isn't any good. Had a open winding.

Thanks for the help!!!!