Electric ZT

/ Electric ZT #61  
The 52 inch model uses six 12Ah batteries. At $500.00 each that is one reason the 52 inch is so much more than the 42 inch model.
I believe they're 10 A/hr. batteries...don't think EGO is making 12 A/hr. batteries (yet)

/ Electric ZT #62  
I think that an electric robotics mower could take over ZTRs because they could be made smaller and use less costly batteries while doing away with the human operator time it takes to cut the grass. The $1,000 price point for the little machines they are selling now seems a bit steep. If they were $500 or $750, people would probably opt for the robotics units over the 21" cordless walk behinds they are selling now.

Or...convert one of the 21" cordless walk behinds to robotics and charge $1,200.

Years ago, my Father worked for an advanced research facility, and they had a robotics mower. He said they got rid of it because too many people wasted too much time watching it cut the grass.

Last edited:
   / Electric ZT #63  
I dream of the day I get to replace my gas ZTR with an electric - no more gas cans, oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, belts, valve adjustments, noise, smell, carb problems, etc etc. I mow around 6-7 acres each week and the gas alone runs about $100 a month. Throw in all the maintenance and a $6,000 gas powered ZTR costs me roughly $20,000 (total) to operate over a 10 year lifespan. Even if an electric was twice the initial price and I had the replace the batteries every 5 years I bet I'd still come out ahead in those 10 years while enjoying all the other benefits mentioned.

/ Electric ZT #64  
The 52 inch model uses six 12Ah batteries. At $500.00 each that is one reason the 52 inch is so much more than the 42 inch model.
The EGO batteries are substantially less than 500 bucks on Amazon. Sounds like retail. So are the Ryobi packs.

/ Electric ZT #65  
The EGO batteries are substantially less than 500 bucks on Amazon. Sounds like retail. So are the Ryobi packs.
Be very careful ordering EGO batteries on Amazon!!
A lot of those sellers are unauthorized by EGO. EGO won't warrant those batteries. I've bought a couple...ultimately, things worked out (finally got the EGO warranty card on one...the other, the seller refunded my money and said to keep the battery)
Just check, before you buy!!

/ Electric ZT #66  
I see Ryobi also makes a smaller 2 blade unit with a steering wheel instead of the oars like the EGO. The Ryobi unit is joystick controlled. Nice feature. Like the EGO, probably Chineseum as well.

Some people (like my wife) don't do well with the oar arrangement.

/ Electric ZT #67  
Be very careful ordering EGO batteries on Amazon!!
A lot of those sellers are unauthorized by EGO. EGO won't warrant those batteries. I've bought a couple...ultimately, things worked out (finally got the EGO warranty card on one...the other, the seller refunded my money and said to keep the battery)
Just check, before you buy!!
Thanks Roy, I'm not that far into it yet and I appreciate your experience and input. Could you allude to your experiences so far, good, bad or indifferent concerning things like run time and overall performance.

/ Electric ZT #68  
No longer own any small gas engines. Have the Ryobi ZT480e competitor to the EGO. The EGO has battery flexibility. The Ryobi uses 4 twelve volt lead acid batteries.

It would do 2 acres. I do a little bit more than 1/2 acre on 15-30% charge, depending on how much I fool around with it. Don't know why you'd continually mow 2 acres. Just make trails through most of it and knock the rest down once/yr or once every other year with a bush hog.
I mow 6 acres. Because it looks good and the grandkids can get out on it without getting eat up with chiggers and ticks. It doesn't take very long with a 60 inch zero turn.

/ Electric ZT #69  
I dream of the day I get to replace my gas ZTR with an electric - no more gas cans, oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, belts, valve adjustments, noise, smell, carb problems, etc etc. I mow around 6-7 acres each week and the gas alone runs about $100 a month. Throw in all the maintenance and a $6,000 gas powered ZTR costs me roughly $20,000 (total) to operate over a 10 year lifespan. Even if an electric was twice the initial price and I had the replace the batteries every 5 years I bet I'd still come out ahead in those 10 years while enjoying all the other benefits mentioned.
Anything that reduces noise is a plus. I wear noise cancelling headphones but still would like the noise reduction.

/ Electric ZT #70  
Thanks Roy, I'm not that far into it yet and I appreciate your experience and input. Could you allude to your experiences so far, good, bad or indifferent concerning things like run time and overall performance.
Both were 5.0 A/hr. batteries...
So far, both have worked as expected...the longevity may be a concern though.
The one that was refunded has no warranty, but since I got it for free...even if it fails, I'm out no money.

5.0 A/hr. are, IMHO, the most versatile capacity for hand held tools as far as weight and power