Electrical / romex mess

/ Electrical / romex mess #111  
Don’t use chinese ziplock bags. They may report back to China about your code violations thru their implanted chips.... you know, a zip loc bag of chips. You’ve must have heard about this.

/ Electrical / romex mess #112  
We have a light on a pole in our driveway. Its in a center circle bordered by pavers. I want to replace the light with a water feature.
A 120v circuit within 15 feet of a water feature is a code violation without proper bonding and grounding.

You need a lightning arrestor to get back into compliance.

/ Electrical / romex mess #114  
Maybe bring the wire out of the ground and put it on a pole or something maybe with an outlet, and splice it there to a new piece of wire. Then run the new wire the rest of the way?

/ Electrical / romex mess #115  
I think this thread has potential. Not quite "pallets" caliber but definitely "stuck bolt".
Does need more actual pictures.

I’m thinking pallets could be used, pretty sure it removed the rounded off bolt, oh wait, I didn’t read to the end before responding, I plead guilty, thread police.

/ Electrical / romex mess #116  
So it sounds like the person who installed it wanted to have an outlet at the light as well as having the light on a switch inside the house. It sounds like the OP has a plan and an electrician. If so Plowhog is all set. I think I read where the breaker is an arc flash breaker, if so I wouldn't remove it to install a GFI breaker. Instead I would add a GFI to the circuit. Both offer protection but for different types of faults.

/ Electrical / romex mess #117  
Maybe bring the wire out of the ground and put it on a pole or something maybe with an outlet, and splice it there to a new piece of wire. Then run the new wire the rest of the way?

The op said that they are planning on putting it in a junction box.

So it sounds like the person who installed it wanted to have an outlet at the light as well as having the light on a switch inside the house. It sounds like the OP has a plan and an electrician. If so Plowhog is all set. I think I read where the breaker is an arc flash breaker, if so I wouldn't remove it to install a GFI breaker. Instead I would add a GFI to the circuit. Both offer protection but for different types of faults.

Or a combination Arc Fault and GFI.

Aaron Z

/ Electrical / romex mess #118  
We have a light on a pole in our driveway. Its in a center circle bordered by pavers. I want to replace the light with a water feature.

I turned power off, removed the light and pole, and found two romex lines. One was still hot (don't ask!) They are about 2 feet below current grade, and about 3 feet below what the new grade will be.

I need to move these lines as the new water feature would be sitting right on top of them. I wish they were long enough to get to an electrical box on the edge of the circle, but they are not nearly long enough. And I still need power out there for the new pump.

I know you are not supposed to put romex in conduit. Nor splice wires and have electric junction boxes underground. But I'm stumped on wh

I turned power off, removed the light and pole, and found two romex lines. One was still hot (don't ask!) They are about 2 feet below current grade, and about 3 feet below what the new grade will be.

I need to move these lines as the new water feature would be sitting right on top of them. I wish they were long enough to get to an electrical box on the edge of the circle, but they are not nearly long enough. And I still need power out there for the new pump.

I know you are not supposed to put romex in conduit. Nor splice wires and have electric junction boxes underground. But I'm stumped on what else to do?

Any ideas?
View attachment 701068
That's not good but I've run into about the same issue where I had a cut line , after using wire nuts I used metal roofing tape from a roll and smashed the stuff in and all around the wire nuts and when I was sure of a water right seal I taped it up with electrical tape, but my wire was ground contact. More important if your electrical box is run with a neutral ground ,if it's not neutral grounded I wouldn't change it.

/ Electrical / romex mess
I would not hesitate to put it in conduit.

Totally redo that entire segment with conduit.
swap ark fault breaker for a GFCI breaker

I have seen where someone spliced a cable in the ground and over the years the ground movement separated the cables.
you should abandon it and run new - real UF
uf cable should be direct buried and that putting it in conduit is actually more harmful.
solder some UF feeder cable to the end of the existing cable and run a new line.

My opinion on UF cable is to not direct bury it or any other around here (middle California) because of Gophers.
You should not run UF wire through conduit.
I would rather have direct-bury splices than to have j-boxes sticking up next to where people are driving.

If you're not near the limit on current, I wouldn't fret about putting conduit around it for a short distance & sealing the ends where it goes into the conduit with gobs of silicone.
I’m waiting for something being added that points to a government coverup.
What you CAN'T do is pull NM underground in conduit.

The other wire powers a laser cutter:

Maybe the existing wire isnt big enough to begin with.

You need a lightning arrestor to get back into compliance.
the breaker is an arc flash breaker, if so I wouldn't remove it to install a GFI breaker.
after using wire nuts I used metal roofing tape from a roll and smashed the stuff in and all around the wire nuts and when I was sure of a water right seal I taped it up with electrical tape,

A wide range of knowledge and responses .... Thank you all for contributing!!