Electronic Governor?

/ Electronic Governor? #11  
If you want a true electronic governor, they are available. We have lots of aerial equipment equipped with them. Contact Precision Governors and they can help you out. They aren't inexpensive, but used ones occasionally show up on the auction sites. Hoof governors do work, but they're best suited for applications where the engine load isn't varying widely all the time. The Precision Governors use a control module/box that senses engine rpm and sends an output to a throttle control to maintain a set speed. Depending on the governor model, two or three speed "sets" can be programmed in. If you have the "mid speed" trimpot set for 1800 rpm for example, the module and throttle control will maintain that rpm. There are also trimpots for adjusting parameters like gain, so that a controller can be fine-tuned for different applications...since engine response to throttle inputs can vary widely from one application to another. Undershooting or overshooting can be virtually eliminated.

Speed settings, starter lockout settings, overspeed shutdown settings, etc are all dialed in with trimpots on the back of the governor box. No laptop interface required. Speed settings are input to the governor box during operation with a simple switch or relay. If the engine is idling, you flip a switch and the engine immediately comes up to the dialed-in rpm setting. Flipping another switch brings the engine speed up to the next dialed-in speed setting. One big advantage to the inputs being electrically switched is that remotely mounted engines don't need to have a convoluted throttle linkage or cable run from the operator station to the engine.

Here's a link to Precision Governors:

PG Engineered Control Solutions > Products > Controllers

The models we have the most of are the E-331 and E-301 governors. In addition to aerial equipment, they're found in gensets, floor and street sweepers, etc.

/ Electronic Governor?
When your engine gets under load it will fall on its face and when you set the throttle wide out the rev limiter will be constantly cutting the ignition and make the engine sound like it is missing. Believe me it is not what you want. Do a search for a "Hoof style" governor. They make all sorts from belt driven to a vacuum operated throttle palte that mounts under the carb. I 've seen a few of these on forklifts.

Thank you for the link, much appreciated. I really don't want to have to employ a foot throttle on this thing. I'd like to just set it and operate the hydraulics, like my previous farm tractor was.

The models you linked, are they for gas or propane? I found some resellers state "propane part". The S100 might be the model I'd need, if it was for a gas application.

-- Joe

Last edited:
   / Electronic Governor?
So Hoof/perice is out of business...

Any other source of a velocity governor or something fairly inexpensive?

-- Joe

/ Electronic Governor?

Thanks, however i actually have those. The problem is that is meant to mount on top, and use a side mount distributor which my configuration uses a top mount distributor.

I gave up and just replaced all the throttle linkage to the foot throttle, so now it operates like it did when it was new. Which is jerky, and a little hard getting used to.

I'm going to run it for the summer, or until I blow up the engine and replace it with a new kohler or suburu that is governed so I can just set the throttle and operate the hydraulics.

The other issue I'm having is the stupid thing won't keep the battery charged, so I need to go over the repair manual and figure out what is wrong with the charging circuit. I get about 30 minutes of runtime before the battery voltage drops so low that it won't re-crank if I stall it.

Thanks!

-- Joe

/ Electronic Governor? #16  
So Hoof/perice is out of business...

Any other source of a velocity governor or something fairly inexpensive?

-- Joe

Hoof might be out of business, but if you search around (ebay and etc.) you will find plenty of NOS and used items for sale.

/ Electronic Governor? #17  
Find somebody that rebuilds the wisconsin engines.The skid loader I have,gehl 4300, came with a top mount dist and a governor. Your charging problem could be a regultor or the engine is not equipped with a alternator. Some wisconsin v4 had a external alt driven by a belt and hung off the side of the engine.

/ Electronic Governor?
Find somebody that rebuilds the wisconsin engines.The skid loader I have,gehl 4300, came with a top mount dist and a governor. Your charging problem could be a regultor or the engine is not equipped with a alternator. Some wisconsin v4 had a external alt driven by a belt and hung off the side of the engine.

I've heard that existed, but I believe the carb was spun around the other way. If you are looking at the fan, my linkage to the carb is on the right side and the air intake to the rear. Erickson/Ford had a pretty wacky arrangement with the wisconsin in this skid steers. I know bobcat ran them sideways and ran belts. On mine the shaft goes into a coupler directly into the pump, so I couldn't run a belt driven alternator either.

Would you mind taking a picture of your engine/governor assembly? I think there is also a stud on the exhaust manifold of yours for the linkage that mine does not have.

-- Joe

/ Electronic Governor? #19  
Old Cushmans had governors for their PTO shafts. Here is one on e-bay: cushman truckster liquid cool 327 dihatsu governor used | eBay. I think the price is way out of line, I'd think about $100 at most. I bought a complete vehicle for $900. It's belt drive so I'd think it could be modified to work on just about anything. The spring on the left hooked to a cable to adjust speed and the bar on the right hooks to carburetor. This is on a 3 cylinder, the 2 cylinders were drove of the distributor, not sure if they could be modded.

/ Electronic Governor? #20  
I know this is an old thread but what did you end up doing? I just bought one of these Ford skid steers myself and had to redo the carb linkage and build a spacer for the carb to fit and function. The guy I bought it from said its technically not the correct carb but I got it to work ok for now. I would prefer a governor but mine also has the distributor on top.