Elevation = rough start up..?

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #61  
In my truck with Cummins diesel, I used to have to plug in the block heater overnight when temps fall below 10 degrees. After switching to Rotella T6 synthetic oil, I haven’t yet had to use the block heater to start the truck.
After changing from 0/40 in the winter to 15/40 in the summer Now I use 5w/40 T6 oil year round in the tractor and the 12 valve. Check out the temp ranges recommended by Shell. Fast start up oil pressure [though not immediate like 0/40] even at -30c [-20F] and rated for use up to 48c [120F] IMO no other oil is needed

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #62  
After changing from 0/40 in the winter to 15/40 in the summer Now I use 5w/40 T6 oil year round in the tractor and the 12 valve. Check out the temp ranges recommended by Shell. Fast start up oil pressure [though not immediate like 0/40] even at -30c [-20F] and rated for use up to 48c [120F] IMO no other oil is needed
Should have been able to use 0w-40 all year round as well. Perhaps the issue was cost?

I am sure glad that I don't live anywhere where it drops to -20F!

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #63  
Should have been able to use 0w-40 all year round as well. Perhaps the issue was cost?

I am sure glad that I don't live anywhere where it drops to -20F!
You are right even "back in the day"I was told that 0/40 can be used year round. I just doubted it to start with... using 5/40 is for peace of mind more than anything really. In my original 12 valve I could see a pressure drop during the summer months using 0/40. not noticing a pressure drop from winter to summer with 5/40

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #64  
0w end of things is irrelevant for warmer temps. It's the 40w that matters for warmer temps.

These folks do independent testing of oil (off of the shelf!):
https://pqia.org/

No testing on 0w-40, but there are for other viscosities. Perhaps the difference is with the brands? And, oil changed when going to CK-spec.

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #65  
I have always used block heaters that go in a freeze plug hole. Used two. Makes life easier on the diesel engine. Cranking cold is where the most wear happens.

/ Elevation = rough start up..? #66  
I'm gonna say it's a temperature issue. When it gets below 35 degrees the little engine on my little MT125 seems to want to jump out of the frame on a cold start up. 40 and above it's a nicer machine. I've done the 20 second glow plug routine and it makes a difference. I live at 4100 feet and have never had the machine anywhere else. But it always starts easily just has to run for about 90 seconds before it smooths out. Just my two cents worth on my 3 year old machine.