eli b

/ eli b #1  

eli b

Tractor
4100 john deere
put my 4100 john deere in neutral and as i got out of the seat the engine died and when i tried to restart i had nothing does anyone have any idea what wrong?

/ eli b #4  
Most likely the PTO switch is on which will prohibit a restart. The engine probably died because the seat switch safety circuit Cut it off when you got out of the seat.

/ eli b #5  
transmission gear sensor default ??? he thinks you are still in gear ? try to different gear to see if he will start at one of them ...

Last edited:
   / eli b #7  
Most likely it’s a safety switch that is preventing the tractor from starting. Now assuming when you turn the key to the on position you should have power to your gauges, the fuel gauge should read tank level. If that’s the case I typically run through each safety device on the tractor (Neutral start switch, pto switch, seat switch). If everything is in neutral yet it still will not crank then I typically make a small jumper wire which helps determine which safety switch may be faulty by bypassing the switch and completing the circuit. If doing this solves the problem then you can go one step further and ohm test the switch to verify it is not completing the circuit. Then it’s just as simple as purchasers new safety switch.

/ eli b #8  
could it have accidentally been bumped out of neutral, and / or is just on the "edge" of neutral but in another gear ? do you need to apply the brakes prior to starting the tractor ? is there a suffcient level of fuel ? again, as others have mentioned ... seat sensor safety ? all the best.

/ eli b #9  
OP hasn't been back since posting the question, maybe he figured it out.

1659540880207.png