Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
The latest issue with my TC33D: the engine block heater now trips the GFI outlet in my garage any time I plug it in. I have not yet even looked to see where this is on the engine. I'm hoping it's not a big deal to get to. As far as I know, this was a factory installed item (could have been a dealer installed accessory, but I think they get all of the tractors they order this way).

Time to start poking through the parts and service manuals to see what I can find. If anyone has messed with one of these and has any good tips on what to look for, please pass them along.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #2  
Have you tried a different extension cord just to rule that out yet? Just a thought. Otherwise sometimes GFCI outlets do actually wear out and become too sensitive. Try a different cord first, then a different grounded device plugged directly into outlet? At least that will rule out cord and outlet. Then check for water intrusion on block heater cord itself.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D
Have you tried a different extension cord just to rule that out yet? Just a thought. Otherwise sometimes GFCI outlets do actually wear out and become too sensitive. Try a different cord first, then a different grounded device plugged directly into outlet? At least that will rule out cord and outlet. Then check for water intrusion on block heater cord itself.
Yes, the cord is fine, as was the second cord I tried. Other grounded applicances on the same circuit do not trip the GFI sensor.

Block heater cord is a male 110VAC plug. It's a molded plug, I can't see how water could intrude, but I guess it's possible. I do need to trace the full length of the cord and see whether it has been damaged or not.

I can't find anything in the service or parts manual, but it's possible I'm just not looking in the right place.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #4  
Is it possible that you added an appliance on the circuit so that now when you pkug in the block heater that it trips it?

Easy to test by unplugging the other appliances, and then plugging in the block heater to see if it still trips.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #5  
Look for weathering cracks on existing Heater cord that might allow moisture in. Probably zero start heater with a generic cord. Replacement cords should be available at your local auto parts store if you take old one in to match up. Hopefully that will solve your problem unless element is leaking coolant into the end of your cord?

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #6  
There can be an issue where the cord connects to the heater and the grounding prong. The cord itself may need replacing too.

Is it possible that you added an appliance on the circuit so that now when you pkug in the block heater that it trips it?

Easy to test by unplugging the other appliances, and then plugging in the block heater to see if it still trips.
It's not the circuit breaker that is tripping, it's the GFI sensor in the outlet. I have not plugged in anything new, and if some other appliance has a ground fault, it should be tripping even before I plug in the block heater.

Look for weathering cracks on existing Heater cord that might allow moisture in. Probably zero start heater with a generic cord. Replacement cords should be available at your local auto parts store if you take old one in to match up. Hopefully that will solve your problem unless element is leaking coolant into the end of your cord?

There can be an issue where the cord connects to the heater and the grounding prong. The cord itself may need replacing too.

I suspect this may be the problem. The tractor is 21 years old. I hope to get time to trace the cord tomorrow afternoon. I'm wondering if the cord alone can be replaced, or if it's molded in to the heating part. I'll guess I'll se tomorrow.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #9  
It's not at all unusual for the block heater to go bad.

Mine did at the 3 year mark and had to be replaced. Other than the same symptom you describe, it did also have a very small weeping leak coming from it. The new one (3 years ago now) has been fine.

I've heard that the most common cause of this issue is actually running the engine with the heater still plugged in (to try and warm everything up quicker). I believe it has to do with the heater element being "on" and also the vibration of the element from running the engine at the same time. I used to do this myself with the first one, but have never started the engine with the second one still plugged in. Coincidence or ?

Anyway, most likely your heater element is bad.

/ Engine block heater malfunction on TC33D #10  
Typically cord either pushes onto the element or screws onto it. When you detach the cord from heater inspect for antifreeze leaking into heater end of cord. That will cause GFCI to trip.