Eradicating moles

/ Eradicating moles #51  
I have twelve of the old fashion spiked metal traps. Since I live on my property it is easy to keep and eye on the traps from day to day. Usually I catch the mole/moles in a day or two. Just push down with your heel on what appears to be an active tunnel. Set the trap. Since I cleared out the invasion, there is just an occasional need for the traps. Trapped 35 one year the first time around.

/ Eradicating moles #52  
I use some of the smoke bomb things. They look like a big firecracker. Typically when I see a large run I use two or three. I think there is some psychological satisfaction as well.

/ Eradicating moles #55  
If you want to keep the moles out of your yard, treat it with Diazinon. That will kill the food moles like to eat, like crane fly larvae, etc. As far as trapping them, I have a trap that is 100% effective. It's a shotgun shell aimed downward attached to a pressure plate. I set it over a hill after I push some of the soil back down. When the mole comes back to clean out his run, BOOM!

/ Eradicating moles #57  
Garlic. I've done the spike traps, I've done the poison, tried caster oil. No good. We grow many types of garlic anyway so chopping up a hundred bulbs and sprinkling it around the perimeter of the garden worked.

/ Eradicating moles #58  
I’ve used milky spore with great success. You could see a line where it was applied and no mole runs. Don’t know how long it lasted but was simple to apply over a large yard.

/ Eradicating moles #59  
I’ve used milky spore with great success.
Don’t know how long it lasted but was simple to apply over a large yard.
The state of Virginia applied milky spore to my sisters farm back in the early 1960's for free,,
her farm alone was 1,000 acres, several farms were done at the time.

I was a pre-teen then,, when the wheat was harvested,
the Japanize beetles were harvested right along with the wheat berries.
The 400 bushel truckload of wheat had thousands of beetles in it,,

The crop dryer would kill the beetles.

The control of Japanize beetles is STILL working to this day.

/ Eradicating moles #60  
In Ontario Canada at TSC (Peavy) stores you can buy packages of 'Shots" 5 per pack. Like a large fire cracker.
Cover over most of the holes and put one in the hole First, then light it and cover quickly. It produces a deadly chemical reaction and the gas may be seen coming out other holes. Works.

I use some of the smoke bomb things. They look like a big firecracker. Typically when I see a large run I use two or three. I think there is some psychological satisfaction as well.
I have fond memories of my Dad eliminating moles in Northern Vermont.
He'd use M-80 sized firecrackers. He was a smoker.
He'd go out on the lawn in late spring, early summer wearing a pair of thick soled, heavy boots. When he found an active mole run he'd light an M-80 with his cigarette, drop it in the run, cover it with his boot, wait for the "THUMP". Repeat as often as necessary.
Definitely a fun way.
/edit - probably don't need a cigarette :)