Eradicating moles

/ Eradicating moles #61  
As has been said before here: mix 40% cement with 60% corn meal. carefully fill the hole and cap it so no innocents are exposed.
I have had great success with this method

/ Eradicating moles #63  
Moles eat grubs. Treat for grubs and theirs no food. No food and they go away.....
I just want to affirm how important and correct this is ... if you do not eradicate the food source you will always have moles ... just that simple.

/ Eradicating moles #66  
Subscribed.
They have taken over my yard this past year. Barely can walk without twisting ankle.

/ Eradicating moles #67  
I just want to affirm how important and correct this is ... if you do not eradicate the food source you will always have moles ... just that simple.
It seems like it would be difficult and not desired to eliminate all the earthworms in your soil, since that is a large part of a mole's diet.

/ Eradicating moles #68  
It seems like it would be difficult and not desired to eliminate all the earthworms in your soil, since that is a large part of a mole's diet.
That’s what I am trying to figure out…..

/ Eradicating moles #69  
There are several reasons I've settled on the Victor Out O Sight mole traps.

- Nash choker loop traps are inhumane. I started with these traps. They work very well, but do no kill the mole quickly. I've come home to find moles dragging that style of trap around the yard, and many times I've found the trap tripped, pull it out, and the mole is still alive in there. I won't use them again.

- The downward spike type traps... I tried those as well. I've found them tripped, but not once did I find a dead mole under it, nor blood on the spikes. To me, no mole = no dead mole = no evidence it worked.

- The scissors-type traps that you step on to set. They do work on shallow mole tunnels, but do not work well on deep tunnels.

Here's why I like the The Victor Out O Sight traps.

- Can be set in any depth of tunnel.
- Can be easily modified to work in any soil type, by pop-riveting a canning jar lid to the trigger plate, which increases the trigger area. Works in sandy soils better that way.
- Out of the 300+ moles I've gotten with this type of trap, only 2 were still alive in the trap. It just pinched the fur on their sides and held them there. I let them go in the woods. All the others were dead. So I'm making the assumption that they died faster than all of the other types of traps, and nothing got away wounded.
- These things are strong. You can't set them with your hands. You have to use cocking bars. I think the strength of the grip is what does in the mole so quickly.

Finally, the price. You can still get them for about $12 (see link above).

I've had 6 of them for 15 years now. They hang on a post under a porch roof. Very durable. I've never had to replace one yet.

If you have pets and are worried about them sniffing around and tripping the traps, the trigger bar will snap their nose. It's bitten my finger a few times. So I'd put an upside down bucket over the trap. You could put a brick or block on top of it if you're animal is prone to investigating things in the yard.

I suggest anyone with mole troubles pick up a couple of these traps and a bundle of the little orange marker flags. Walk around your yard and indent the mole tunnels with your heal and drop a flag next to the dents so you can check them the next day. When you find the tunnels with the heal dents popped back up, that's where you set the trap. If a heal mark doesn't pop up in a few days, it's not an active tunnel. Look elsewhere for the best productivity.

Anyhow, I'm repeating myself, so good luck.

/ Eradicating moles #70  
That's what we've been trying to tell people for a couple decades. Yes, moles eat grubs like I eat chocolate eclairs. But their primary food is earth worms. You shouldn't put down grub control unless you have a grub problem. If you don't have a grub problem (patches of dead grass), you don't have moles feasting on grubs. It's just that simple. They're eating something else: earthworms!