Ethanol - A new battle brewing?

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #11  
Turning food into fuel was never a good idea. It's a loser in every respect. Another example of agenda driven big government stupidity. HS

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #12  
Well, I don't know what you eat, but I have no problem with starch and sugars being turned into fuel. For every bushel of corn that is used for ethanol, there is a resulting leftover of 1.4 lb of corn oil, about 18 lb of high protein feed supplement, and several other products. It isn't like once a bushel of corn gets targeted toward ethanol that it is forever lost to the food chain. And since corn prices are lower than bad right now, my guess is that there is not a corn shortage. No one is going without their corn bread, corn flakes, Doritos or Cheetos.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #13  
Need to get up to speed. Ethanol subsidies died in 2011 when they were not renewed in the farm bill. There are some grants, tax credits, etc for ethanol blender pumps, but that is retail gas station stuff, not ethanol producers.

One of the main reasons for ethanol production is corn price stability. Corn prices are low now, and without price being somewhat stable due to ethanol, the price would go into the basement and the taxpayer would be shelling out grain price support subsidies. Right now, on an inflation adjusted basis, corn prices are lower than in the mid 90's. All of this hoopla by livestock producers over ethanol costing them more in grain price is a ruse. They want $1 a bushel corn. No different than folks wanting $1 a gallon fuel. They cry and whine about feed, but they fail to mention that livestock market prices are doing very well.

It's really simple. Folks with a bias against ethanol will continue to see conspiracies, black helicopters, and suck up every bit of stuff on the net that justifies their preconceived mindset. And those that have a stake in ethanol are not much different. Then there those of us who are neutral and we have flex fuel vehicles, know what the fuel economy is on different blends of ethanol and ethanol free, then we look at prevailing price at the pump and choose whatever offers the lowest cost per mile to use. No bias, just a business mindset.
My problem is I DON"T have a flex-fuel vehicle and have no desire to purchase one. Secondly, I can't buy 100% gasoline in the state of Maine; it's unavailable except at airport facilities and at an elevated price and thirdly, the sole reason the state mandates ethanol usage is the pollution generated in the central part of the country migrating east on prevailing winds; there isn't a sufficient number of vehicles in the state to produce pollution levels to require such drastic measures. I would welcome the end of ethanol blending, however, I'm but a "voice crying in the wilderness"

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #14  
That is a state issue you need to take up with your hired help at the Capitol. While there is a renewable fuel standard, there is no requirement by EPA that only E10 can be available. Not a corn lobby thing either. I live in Iowa, the largest corn producing state in the nation. Surrounded by over 46 ethanol plants. Swimming in the stuff. Yet, I have ethanol free regular and premium in virtually every town around me, 365 days a year, and sold right along side same fuel pumps at local stations. Your outrage is misplaced.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #15  
Well, I don't know what you eat, but I have no problem with starch and sugars being turned into fuel. For every bushel of corn that is used for ethanol, there is a resulting leftover of 1.4 lb of corn oil, about 18 lb of high protein feed supplement, and several other products. It isn't like once a bushel of corn gets targeted toward ethanol that it is forever lost to the food chain. And since corn prices are lower than bad right now, my guess is that there is not a corn shortage. No one is going without their corn bread, corn flakes, Doritos or Cheetos.
No one is complaining about a corn shortage, especially now. A few years ago with $8 corn, sure. The issue is all the government (taxpayer) money that has been spent to fund the entire industry.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #16  

I agree corn prices are bad but you will not see that in a bag of Doritos. Latest store price of a 12oz. bag is $4.29. Cereal prices are also continuously going up. Not corn producers' fault but not realistic given the current corn prices.

Should see a shift from corn production to another crop which will bring corn prices up. Supply and demand.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #17  
There are some ******* that do corn after corn, but most farmers rotate different crops each season, so it isn't like all that is getting raised is corn. A major part to the corn glut is we have had some favorable weather the last few years and crop yields have been off the chart in many locations.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #18  
There are some ******* that do corn after corn, but most farmers rotate different crops each season, so it isn't like all that is getting raised is corn. A major part to the corn glut is we have had some favorable weather the last few years and crop yields have been off the chart in many locations.

Corn on corn is very common, and those doing so aren't "*******". Those people make their living growing crops, they know better than an internet know-it-all.

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #19  
Check price of beef, you have a lot of research and homework to do, your response shows you don't understand problem, and unintended consequences. HS

/ Ethanol - A new battle brewing? #20  
Ethanol is much better than the MTBE additives they used as a fuel oxygenator. I'm sure the chemical companies would rather lobby for their product but I would rather breathe exhaust from ethanol.