Ever break a tap?

/ Ever break a tap? #21  
I keep my cobalt bits in a index with sizes clearly marked on it, also have a cheap easy to read caliper lying around close by. Also fortunate to have a big enough tool chest where I can keep my tap and dies in there case which is also clearly marked. Nothing's more frustrating than not putting my tools back and keeping them organized. Until a few yrs ago screwed up a few tap projects cuz I didn't fully understand letter sizes.
Know the feeling but I found online they'll list the letter and actual bit sizes for thae tap. Going one size larger is your freind.

/ Ever break a tap? #22  
Know the feeling but I found online they'll list the letter and actual bit sizes for thae tap. Going one size larger is your freind.
That's why I found out keeping a hard copy of tap sizes with drill bit sizes in easy reach is invaluable to me anyway.

/ Ever break a tap? #23  
Ha! Wish I had a dollar for every tap I've broken and removed. 20+ years in Tool and Die and CNC machining will get ya good at it. lol Sadly though, every situation is different and I have not had consistent luck with extractors. A good pick to get the broken tap and chips out of the hole, some compressed air and a small sharp punch to work the tap back and forth if you can get to it. I know its not likely but if you know someone with a Bridgeport you can cut them out with a carbide endmill, takes some patience but works. In the future a good cutting oil is very important as is using the proper size drill. Dont use spiral flute taps, they are not as strong as plug/ hand taps and have less lead chamfer so they take more force to turn as well. The best taps you can have in the garage on my opinion are form taps though. Stronger than any cut tap, creates awesome threads and can be used in most metals except for cast materials. I can share with you the drill sizes needed for form taps if need be, I have a chart I made on my computer.

/ Ever break a tap? #24  
I broke a 4-40 tap off in a small piece of aluminum a few years ago, and after some internet searching, I found a method using a concentrated alum solution. I mixed it up in a glass beaker and dropped the aluminum piece with the broken tap into it, and the next morning the tap was completely gone and the aluminum unharmed. Obviously though, that wouldn't work on a steel work piece.

/ Ever break a tap? #25  
Have you seen these?

I have more than enough stuff in the shop as it is. 2 MIG machines, a TIG welder and plasma cutter, my Lincoln engine drive for field work, Overhead trolley crane in the back bay, 3 lathes, two floor lathes including one LeBlond Servo shift, 2 surface grinders and 2 Bridgeports one is a CNC Versa Trak plus a CNC plasma table and a 4x6 welding table on heavy duty casters, 2 compressors, one is a 10.5 horse pressure lubed reciprocating compressor and the other is a Sullair screw compressor as well as an IR refrigerated air dryer. I really don't have the room for another machine and if I did, it would have to be a wire EDM. Nice thing is everything is paid for.

Additionally, I do all my reloading in the back bay as well. Have a dedicated bench just for that.

All the metal working machines are 100% tooled as well.

/ Ever break a tap? #26  
Good tapping oil and a soft hand and never break another also I use a torch for taps hard metal blows out quickly

/ Ever break a tap?
Success! Walton Tool. USA made and it worked perfect. I had real easy access, so that helped.
Switch box.jpg
Walton Tool.jpg

/ Ever break a tap?
👍 However I'm slightly envious of your two post lift lol. What brand and capacity is it?
Thanks. It's a Rotary, 10k.

/ Ever break a tap? #30  
Success! Walton Tool. USA made and it worked perfect. I had real easy access, so that helped.

Just saw this thread,,, Walton Tool... Great Company!!! They are in my area & a few yrs back I broke a tap off; tried to purchase one of their extractors from a local dealer but they didn't have what I needed & recommended that I check with Walton directly, as they were local (which I didn't know). They were awesome to deal with & allowed me to purchase direct being the local dealer did not have what I needed... Again a great American Company...

Glad it worked for you!!!