Everlast PowerArc 160

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #21  
I found a little 17V Tig torch on Northern tools that had a proper dinse connector so I did not need the power block, it just plugs in to the front panel of the 160. The regulator came from an internet welding supply, and the argon cylinder I bought locally.

Shown below are some things I have put together, like the small chain I built to hold a retaining pin on an implement, and the extension of the control valve for my rear remotes. And the repair of a broken hook that came off of my ballast barrel. Also shown are some copper crush washers I made out of 10 gauge copper house wire. Just TIG the ends together and away you go. DC TIG works well for copper and brass, not aluminum though. Although Shield Arc points out you can do it with helium gas.

small CGA 580 flowmeter.JPGtig and ground.jpgDSCF0525.JPGPicture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 011.jpgIMG_20131018_115507_563.jpgIMG_20131018_104229_173.jpgIMG_20131018_103554_525.jpg

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #22  
Although Shield Arc points out you can do it with helium gas.
Here is an aluminum weld I made with my PowerArc 200. Problem with doing aluminum this way, you can only make short welds. When the aluminum heats up, no way to back off the power without a foot pedal. So you have to stop, and move to another location.

Attachments

• Tig DCEN 2.JPG
    Tig DCEN 2.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 252
   / Everlast PowerArc 160
Never tried DC alum what is the procedure for that? Still need pure tungsten?

/ Everlast PowerArc 160
Koua, you made that chain without a pedal? That seems like a nightmare...

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #25  

Attachments

• Tungsten.jpg
    Tungsten.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 216
  • DCEN Helium.jpg
    DCEN Helium.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 184
   / Everlast PowerArc 160 #26  
Koua, you made that chain without a pedal? That seems like a nightmare...

All the work you see is scratch start and no pedal (wish I had one). The copper washers were really interesting. What you don't see is there were originally 4. I messed up the other two. But I only needed 2 so I came out OK.. :)

I have been using Lanthanated tungstens. (blue)

/ Everlast PowerArc 160
All the work you see is scratch start and no pedal (wish I had one). The copper washers were really interesting. What you don't see is there were originally 4. I messed up the other two. But I only needed 2 so I came out OK.. :)
Pretty dang impressive I'm definitely spoiled by my pedal at work but I'm going to start training myself again on scratch start. Is it safe to say that machine runs pretty decent on low amps?
I got to the point now I use Ceriated tungsten for everything with these inverters.
Never tried it they did give me some purple tungsten to try once and I promptly threw it in the trash, it didn't do anything good AC or DC.

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #28  
Pretty dang impressive I'm definitely spoiled by my pedal at work but I'm going to start training myself again on scratch start. Is it safe to say that machine runs pretty decent on low amps?

Never tried it they did give me some purple tungsten to try once and I promptly threw it in the trash, it didn't do anything good AC or DC.

I can hold an arc at about 8 amps.. Not easily I might add. 18 to 20 is pretty easy..

/ Everlast PowerArc 160
That's not bad rarely do I use anything that low at work

/ Everlast PowerArc 160 #30  
Guys,
Thanks for the info on tig with the 160. Maybe when I get cought up...