Everything Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Everything Attachments #1,771  
Awwww Am I to be proud??

Sure could not tell that he was the "hero" type from all the whining posts he makes

No ones service to the Country should be dismissed. We are all in debt to the honorable men and women who have insured our safety, security and freedom. Please check yourself.

/ Everything Attachments #1,772  
Just exactly where did I dismiss his service?

/ Everything Attachments #1,773  
   / Everything Attachments #1,775  
Appreciate that!

No problem. I appreciate your service. We have 3 military installations here in Kitsap County, WA and I bristle when anyone who serves our country is disrespected.

/ Everything Attachments #1,776  
Since the question: "Would you hook up your trailer, and drive somewhere,...... to pick up your UPS/Amazon packages?" was asked....

When it comes to truck/freight shipments I for one can say absolutely positively YES! (and would probably use more expressive adjectives in front of that "yes" if I wasn't trying to be polite). Personally I'd rather not be stuck at my house/property all day (or week) waiting for a truck to show up whenever they got around to showing up. Especially since I've had (freight and parcel) carriers either not call (despite explicit instructions to do so) -- or call when they were 15 minutes out and I was further away which means wasted time/fuel for everyone involved. ...of course that also assumes I'm somewhere I can actually receive/hear their call when it's made (which I frequently am not).

So personally I much prefer them holding large freight items at the terminal 30+ miles away as they have more incentive to call me in a timely manner so I can come pick it up (and free up their floor/trailer space). Not to mention they will have a suitable method of loading my trailer available. Now if my shipment gets to be more than a quarter/half of a truck load (depending on what it is), I figure the driver can sit and wait for me just like they (most likely) would be doing as I unload.

Otherwise, I'd happily take the time to drive home (which could be 30-60 minutes), pull my trailer out of storage with the tractor, hook it up to the truck, drive the 30-45 minutes to a freight terminal, have the item loaded at the terminal, and head home, unload and undo everything I just had to do to go get the item. That's assuming a trailer is actually required, which so far has only been needed for an order that consisting of multiple items, only part of which (if ordered alone) wouldn't fit in the bed of a pickup (e.g. a disk harrow). In either case I'm going to the terminal to pick a shipment up I only lose a half day, where if I have to hang around waiting for them I lose at least one full day -- and possibly more if they get delayed/waylaid.

Now to be honest I have to admit I'm rather confused as to why this is even a topic of discussion since EA makes implements, and does not set the company policies for the freight companies who are delivering EA products. If a someone thinks that they can arrange a better shipping arrangement for themselves I'd suggest they call EA to see what EA's policy is on customer arranged shipping, and if (or how much) it'd affect the purchase price and take that option.

As for freight shipping to residences becoming the default; seeing as how shipping costs are set by the freight companies (not EA), I'd rather not be paying prices that reflect that "convenience" as it'd most likely be more money out of my pocket for something that I don't want.

Then on top of that (in many cases) making residential/non-commercial deliveries the default would likely create additional hazards/problems for the delivery drivers as:
- many people don't have a clue of how much space is needed to turn a truck around (even when it's driven by a top-notch driver),
- some will inevitably think it's "okay" for the delivery driver to break traffic laws the receiver doesn't know/care about (e.g. obstructing traffic) just so the receiver can "conveniently" unload a vehicle that's not suited for making deliveries to the receiver's location.

Both of those are also assuming the receiver doesn't outright lie about the space situation at their location. ...and given how many friends I've had as truck drivers over the years, I can't say I'd want them having to deal with any of that (unless they're willing and being compensated accordingly).

So I'd wager all of those play a part of the reasons (in addition to some of the reasons other have stated) why freight companies tend to charge different rates for residential vs. commercial address deliveries. Of course this inevitably goes back to my earlier comment about individuals/businesses arranging & using their own freight carrier....and working with EA if they want to buy something from EA, but not use EA's "free shipping".

/ Everything Attachments #1,777  
On terminal delivery you should get there as FAST as possible. The shipping company is not in the storage business, so be aware of that. I have picked up at at least 4 different terminals. To them having your pallet on their floor for a day or two is reasonable, but I would not push it past that. They also have (in my area anyway) business hours for will call and weekends and holidays off. Although I have had them load me up on Christmas eve once because they knew me and answered the intercom at the gate. But do not not bank on that.

/ Everything Attachments #1,778  
And ..... back to regular programming. All the whining ... is boring!

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

/ Everything Attachments #1,780  
Since the question: "Would you hook up your trailer, and drive somewhere,...... to pick up your UPS/Amazon packages?" was asked....

When it comes to truck/freight shipments I for one can say absolutely positively YES! (and would probably use more expressive adjectives in front of that "yes" if I wasn't trying to be polite). Personally I'd rather not be stuck at my house/property all day (or week) waiting for a truck to show up whenever they got around to showing up. Especially since I've had (freight and parcel) carriers either not call (despite explicit instructions to do so) -- or call when they were 15 minutes out and I was further away which means wasted time/fuel for everyone involved. ...of course that also assumes I'm somewhere I can actually receive/hear their call when it's made (which I frequently am not).

So personally I much prefer them holding large freight items at the terminal 30+ miles away as they have more incentive to call me in a timely manner so I can come pick it up (and free up their floor/trailer space). Not to mention they will have a suitable method of loading my trailer available. Now if my shipment gets to be more than a quarter/half of a truck load (depending on what it is), I figure the driver can sit and wait for me just like they (most likely) would be doing as I unload.

Otherwise, I'd happily take the time to drive home (which could be 30-60 minutes), pull my trailer out of storage with the tractor, hook it up to the truck, drive the 30-45 minutes to a freight terminal, have the item loaded at the terminal, and head home, unload and undo everything I just had to do to go get the item. That's assuming a trailer is actually required, which so far has only been needed for an order that consisting of multiple items, only part of which (if ordered alone) wouldn't fit in the bed of a pickup (e.g. a disk harrow). In either case I'm going to the terminal to pick a shipment up I only lose a half day, where if I have to hang around waiting for them I lose at least one full day -- and possibly more if they get delayed/waylaid.

Now to be honest I have to admit I'm rather confused as to why this is even a topic of discussion since EA makes implements, and does not set the company policies for the freight companies who are delivering EA products. If a someone thinks that they can arrange a better shipping arrangement for themselves I'd suggest they call EA to see what EA's policy is on customer arranged shipping, and if (or how much) it'd affect the purchase price and take that option.

As for freight shipping to residences becoming the default; seeing as how shipping costs are set by the freight companies (not EA), I'd rather not be paying prices that reflect that "convenience" as it'd most likely be more money out of my pocket for something that I don't want.

Then on top of that (in many cases) making residential/non-commercial deliveries the default would likely create additional hazards/problems for the delivery drivers as:
- many people don't have a clue of how much space is needed to turn a truck around (even when it's driven by a top-notch driver),
- some will inevitably think it's "okay" for the delivery driver to break traffic laws the receiver doesn't know/care about (e.g. obstructing traffic) just so the receiver can "conveniently" unload a vehicle that's not suited for making deliveries to the receiver's location.

Both of those are also assuming the receiver doesn't outright lie about the space situation at their location. ...and given how many friends I've had as truck drivers over the years, I can't say I'd want them having to deal with any of that (unless they're willing and being compensated accordingly).

So I'd wager all of those play a part of the reasons (in addition to some of the reasons other have stated) why freight companies tend to charge different rates for residential vs. commercial address deliveries. Of course this inevitably goes back to my earlier comment about individuals/businesses arranging & using their own freight carrier....and working with EA if they want to buy something from EA, but not use EA's "free shipping".

Good analysis JJP, but the whiners will never read and understand it

Status
Not open for further replies.