Exposed Aggregate concrete help

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #41  
Lots of helpful information in this thread, unfortunately after the fact. sucks that the job didn't come out well. Going forward if you decide to tear it out and start over, decide on what color of exposed aggregate you want. how it will look with your house and landscape. As mentioned there different colors and size of stones. do you want grey, black, black and white. seeded or stones in the mix. It takes time to vet a contractor and go over the details of the projects to be sure you will end up with what you expect. There is nothing worse than having to look at something day after day that your unhappy with.

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #42  
How much PSI would work?
As high as you can. Typical pressure washers are between 2,500 and 4,000 depending on your needs. I have an aggregate patio and notice each year that I pressure wash a little more of the concrete washes away. Now it’s old enough that some of the pea gravel also comes up so I’d spot test and try not to use the high pressure constantly on one spot.

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #43  
And the brake lines crooked for drainage as well? :), not it was supposed to be level because i'll put a row of decorative bricks-retaining wall on the edge.

I'm already $4K ++, now mini x, a dump track, pay to the dump side, then another God know who contractor, about $10K in a 530Sqft patio. I'd say a little expensive :unsure:

I'll check this option.
I'm already $4K ++, now mini x, a dump track, pay to the dump side, then another God know who contractor, about $10K in a 530Sqft patio. I'd say a little expensive :unsure:
But very educational!

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #44  
I poured concrete for nearly 20 years and was a journeyman cement mason in the 1970's and 80's. During that period, I poured and finished hundreds of swimming pool decks and patios. Most of the pool decks were either seeded exposed aggregate or Kool Deck.

My opinion is the workmanship is poor compared to most of the wash-exposed aggregate I have seen over the years.

Is there any way to make this job look like what you want? Other than removing and replacing it with a competently poured and finished patio, the answer is no. All the blasting and grinding in the world will not produce the finish you are looking for.

If you go with the "remove and replace" solution. I suggest having the contractor provide you with photos of his/her work and come to an agreement on the finish you want prior to signing the contract.

The photo is of my pool deck. It is seeded exposed aggregate and was done by a local pool contractor. He is one of the best in the area.

Attachments

• Pooldeck1.jpg
    Pooldeck1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 140
   / Exposed Aggregate concrete help #45  
As a retired contractor that did my first exposed agregate job with my large tow behind mixer. It was around my own pool in 1973. I used a rock known around the area as Yuba quartz. Likely it came from the Yuba river. I found that trying to use the rock that came in mixes were too variable and just didn’t look like seeded job. If your contractor won’t take care of it then methods described above are in order. Send him a certified letter and if he doesn’t respond then you gave him the chance and move on with a remediation plan of having a place who specializes in repair or overlay whichever is best suited. The low spots are concerning. Then you can get what you want and go after him for the cost.

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #46  
Tried it as well, the wire wheel leaves black/gray/silver metal color on the rocks, looks ugly.

Here is what i was expecting:

View attachment 811057

Well, did you have a written contract? Did the contract contain one or more images of what you expected? Did this fellow have references? Did you visit any of his references for exposed aggregate jobs? Have you paid him? (If so, why!)

I've had fellows promise this and deliver that - but they do not get paid for labor or materials if the work is not done as promised and described in the contract we sign before a spade is put to earth.

Last guy agreed to do a drive with X tons of large rock and Y tons of ABC crusher run for Z dollars. After he left the gravel delivery driver called me to say he hadn't been paid for a load (or two). I advised him that I'd paid the contractor in ful and had the canceled check (image) to prove he'd cashed them. I also showed him a copy of the contract.

He said "I never would have signed such a contract."

I replied "Well, then, you would not have gotten the job."

Unfortunately, if there ever was a time when a man's word was his bond, it's long been over and your best protection is a written agreement and payment upon completion per the the agreed terms.

Also a good idea to read up on the work you're wanting to contract out so you might more readily spot the phonies who think the bedrock goes on the drive last - or what you got is "exposed aggregate" because "You can see aggregate!"

Remember, there's a sucker born every minute.

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #47  
Well, did you have a written contract? Did the contract contain one or more images of what you expected? Did this fellow have references? Did you visit any of his references for exposed aggregate jobs? Have you paid him? (If so, why!)

I've had fellows promise this and deliver that - but they do not get paid for labor or materials if the work is not done as promised and described in the contract we sign before a spade is put to earth.

Last guy agreed to do a drive with X tons of large rock and Y tons of ABC crusher run for Z dollars. After he left the gravel delivery driver called me to say he hadn't been paid for a load (or two). I advised him that I'd paid the contractor in ful and had the canceled check (image) to prove he'd cashed them. I also showed him a copy of the contract.

He said "I never would have signed such a contract."

I replied "Well, then, you would not have gotten the job."

Unfortunately, if there ever was a time when a man's word was his bond, it's long been over and your best protection is a written agreement and payment upon completion per the the agreed terms.

Also a good idea to read up on the work you're wanting to contract out so you might more readily spot the phonies who think the bedrock goes on the drive last - or what you got is "exposed aggregate" because "You can see aggregate!"

Remember, there's a sucker born every minute.
You are being a little hard on the man aren't you?;) Contracts and written papers are one thing but the end results are all that really matters. On small projects like this, all the paper in the world is not going to fix something like this unless the guy that did the job is willing to admit his mistake and fixes the problem on his own.
The problem with concrete is there are too many variables that can take place on a small job like this. Weather, site conditions, problems at the batch plant, hangovers, and there are those that are out just to make a quick buck.
Most all of the really good concrete contractors out there won't even look at a small job like this, they want 100-yard or more pours before they will even talk to you.
There are some good small job contractors out there, but they are hard to get because they are so busy and book months out. People are pretty much the same all around and when they decide on doing some project, they want it done now and that is when they turn into fish and believe me there are a lot of shardy fishermen out there.
Pretty much all the small job concrete finishers I know want you to pay for the concrete up front, (they have been burned a time or two also). All they are doing is supplying the labor to finish the product you have bought. Most all of the finishers, at least in my area charge for labor the same as what the concrete cost and if you have site work, they charge extra for that. If you do your own base and form work that adds a few more worms in the can to wiggle out of in case something goes wrong, and someone tries to take him to court.
All this really means is that no matter what you do there will be no guarantee of the end results. It should be but in today's world you never can tell anymore.

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #48  
You probably should have asked this on a concrete contractor website. Three pages of guys weighing in on something they know nothing about. Grind it, seriously? Pressure wash, let it wear away, just guessing. Many homes have exactly you want; I guess some guys haven't seen it. The contractor was informed and didn't know what he was doing. Nothing else will fix it. Omega Woods gave you the only true answer - you have to take him to court, sadly, if he won't redo this.
Most concrete contractors I have worked with on construction projects have had to remove a concrete pour and do it all over again at some time. If it didn't come out to what was written in the contract it becomes an expensive "do over" for them!

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #49  
That job is bullshit . That should been rinsed clean . Hope you ?did not pay yet .

/ Exposed Aggregate concrete help #50  
I think I'd bring out some patio chairs and enjoy it. Worry about something that matters.

Understood that the result doesn't look like what you wanted it to look. I've noticed the same sort of problems with photos of myself taken in the last few years.... they just don't look like I'd expected.

But on the other hand that concrete looks strong and even looks like it might have some decent drainage. Frankly I've seen far worse concrete jobs. A few months of foot traffic will wear the exposed cement faster than the stones and then you will have closer to what you expected. I'd say give it some time.

rScotty