Extension cord for block heaters?

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #11  
I do the same subtle reminder myself. 😆
Isn't that horrible. Today I was in my truck, pulled my wallet to check cash supply before going to the store, stuck it between my legs. Drove to the store, totally forgot about the wallet. Got out went inside. Oh crap I don't have my wallet!!! Went back out to the parking lot and approached my truck looking around on the ground. A man hollered at me and said with a big smile "lose this?". An honest man right there. He was heading inside the store to turn it in. Had $500 cash in my wallet. I tried to give him $20 but he flatly refused. Kept saying just pass it on if you find a wallet. Restored my faith in our society. I walked with a lighter step. :)

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #12  
I want to replace my extremely stiff extension cord that I connect to my JD 4200 hydro unit block heater. I need at least thirty feet so I guess that means I will need to purchase a fifty foot cord. My thinking is a 12 gauge wire should do it unless you folks tell me different. We are having a winter where mornings are below 0 degrees Fahrenheit a few times a week. So I want a cord that will remain flexible enough so I will be able to coil it up loosely when not in use. Does this mean I will need to get a rubber covered cord or are some vinyl cords available that will remain flexible at or below zero?
Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Look at the watts the heater is rated at and then look at the watts the cord is rated at. Use a cord that is rated no less than the watts the heater is rated at. I use my extensions for other purposes and I usually use 12 gauge copper wires so my voltage drop is not excessive for larger loads.
As far as the covering, some extension cords have temperature ratings based on the flexibility of the covering but not all of them. All of mine are 12 g and orange and they are flexible enough for me down to 0°F.

/ Extension cord for block heaters?
I found an old blue 12 gauge cord in my garage. Flexible enough. I shortened it up a bit and fitted new ends on it.

Thanks to everyone for your help. You have impressed me as always with your knowledge and your willingness to share it.

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #14  
Hunt for an extention cord with a TPE outer jacket.

TPE = Thermo Plastic Elastometer

CAn find then at any electric supply house.
50' footer is currently about $50.00

Attachments

• All weather extension cord.pdf
    380.2 KB · Views: 35
   / Extension cord for block heaters? #15  
I want to replace my extremely stiff extension cord that I connect to my JD 4200 hydro unit block heater. I need at least thirty feet so I guess that means I will need to purchase a fifty foot cord. My thinking is a 12 gauge wire should do it unless you folks tell me different. We are having a winter where mornings are below 0 degrees Fahrenheit a few times a week. So I want a cord that will remain flexible enough so I will be able to coil it up loosely when not in use. Does this mean I will need to get a rubber covered cord or are some vinyl cords available that will remain flexible at or below zero?
Thank you for your time and knowledge.
The outer jacket on the extension cord for cold weather is Thermo-plastic Elastometer. posted a pdf.

I used these cords as a contractor in below freezing weather. Easy to wind up when done with them for storage.
Retired Electrical contractor.
Dean

Last edited:
   / Extension cord for block heaters? #16  
the heater cord jacket got weathered and cracked on my old truck and combo of wet and road salt would sometimes cause the GFCI in my garage to trip. I eventually replaced the block heater cord but I also wired a light into the connector so I would see power at the truck. They sell cords this way too, but I'm too cheap
1643753520672.png

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #17  
I like a 12 gauge SOOW or SJOOW cord. They are very flexible down to -10 or so. I have not see any other cord be able to handle the cold the same. I have destroyed many of the thermoplastic cords in winter. I would have to move cords between equipment at job sites due to limited power availability. Dragging a 100 yard cord is hard on it.

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #18  
I wanted some flexible cords to feed heaters on three vehicles was thinking two fifties and one 25-ft. Started pricing the 14ga flexible to -30Fcords.

It was less expensive to buy a 100-ft 12ga, and some ends. I now have 50, 30, as 20-ft cords.

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #19  
It was less expensive to buy a 100-ft 12ga, and some ends. I now have 50, 30, as 20-ft cords.
--- ---
I did this also... Got a nice 30 meter cord some one had chewed up several spots with a weed or something like that.. Cut out all the bad spots and made cords out of the pieces.. In all only lost about half a meter of bad spots..

/ Extension cord for block heaters? #20  
I have ONLY ONE very HD extension cord. It's 10 ga with a very soft but HD rubber outer shield. Specifically made for use in the cold. It's 50' and cost around $60 to $65. It remains flexible - even at -15F. I had to look around a long time to find this cord. Finally - found it at a Freightliner dealership. It's the cord I use in the winter to plug in the battery maintainer on the tractor. I keep most all of my other extension cords in the house. At least, they remain flexible while being first put to use.

So ........ I would recommend checking at any semi truck supply store.