face mask for mowing tired of the dust?

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #11  
I've tried several different masks with/without goggles. The very fine dust here is a problem. I've tried the KN95 masks, the 3M respirator #8233, a half mask and finally gave up and splurged for a 3m 6900 full face mask and I bought the overlays for the vision window. I thought about getting a chinese made one for 1/3 the price, but the reviews said the Chinese ones run small, and even the American large is on the tight side for me. The problem with separate mask and goggles, is that they don't fit together very well and leave a small gap where they overlap.

It's not the most comfortable wearing a full face mask, it limits visibility, even tho it's lightweight, it still weighs something and after a long mowing session, it gets heavy, and the pressure to hold it in place for long mowing session gets uncomfortable after a while. But, avoiding all the dust and grass and other crud being tossed up in your face makes it all worth the mask. When I finish mowing and get off the mower, every step I take has a new dust cloud falling off of me. Nice not to have it in my face.

Any mask will help. None of them will keep out all of the dust.
A full face mask will keep it all out. Check out the 3M 6700, 6800, & 6900 series masks.

Last edited:
   / face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #12  
A full face mask will keep it all out. Check out the 3M 6700, 6800, & 6900 series masks.
I have one of them. I'd have to check to know the exact model. I use it for spraying oil based paint on cabinets. It works OK, but it's not great. After an hour or two of spraying, I'll have paint inside the mask. There will be a line going to my nostrils from where the paint gets through the seal.

Just for reference, when I was in the Marine Corps, I was assigned to NBC training for six months. Once a week I helped run the gas chamber at Camp Pendleton. I loved it!!! But those masks where different, and I could get a very good seal with one of them. I haven't found an affordable, over the counter mask, the comes close to what the military has.

If a mask does not have a complete seal, the gaps will increase the amount of material that gets through. The small the material, the more that gets past the mask. This is all kind of off topic and probably meaningless to dealing with dust and mowing, but it's just one of those things that I find interesting with all that has happened in the last two years.

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #13  
Any mask will help. None of them will keep out all of the dust.
True^

Masks don’t seal around the edges so you may filter a bunch but a bunch will also make it though.

When grinding/welding/other stuff when I’m trying to protect my airways/lungs I use a 3M 6000 half face respirator and like them a lot. Cut that filter open after 50-100 hrs of use and you’ll be a believer.

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #14  
The thing that helps the most if I'm on my ztr is to drive as fast as possible so the dust is always behind me. ;)

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #15  
But those masks where different, and I could get a very good seal with one of them. I haven't found an affordable, over the counter mask, the comes close to what the military has.
I completely agree, the military masks fit much better than any civilian mask. But, I suspect the military masks are not in the affordable category either. To get a good seal the mask has to be sized to your face and the military had many different sizes, at least 6 that I know of and probably more, the civilian masks only have 3 sizes. Also, any facial hair interferes with the seal of the mask.

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #16  
I too have noticed dust from tractor work or haying bothers me more the older I get. Saw that with my Dad also.

Tried some N95 masks. They work till they get wet from sweat then you are like being water boarded. Covid masks about the same. Heat and breathing stress adding to the problem.

Wear a 3m mask with 2097 filters at the shop for grinding and welding.

3M Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6503QL, Gases, Vapors, Dust, Large https://a.co/d/bkBDddX

Easier to breathe through than Covid masks. Fit and leakage much better. Silicone face parts drains sweat away and discharges out the exhalation valve keeping the filters dry. Can wear for hours while doing physical work.

Have too many trees to work around for a cab tractor to be practical. They sure look nice. Maybe with enough MadMax armor???

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #17  
The 3m half respirator seems to be the gold standard that others try to copy.

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #18  
Been using my paint respirator for decades…

Noticed right off how much better I would breath after a long day mowing with the mask…

/ face mask for mowing tired of the dust? #20