Factory front tires on 1025R

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #21  
Turf tires wont do loader work for very long, not John Deere's fault. They are lawnmower tires not tractor tires. Get R4's or similar.
That's not true. The problem is not that it's a turf tire, but that it's the wrong turf tire. They come in a range of ratings for each size.

Tires are a dealer select item, and many choose to put the cheapest 4-ply rated turf tires on their machines, which are completely inappropriate for loader use. I haven't checked the 1025R manual, but the other Deere manuals I've owned call out specific ply ratings for all types of tires (including turf) for use with the loader.

Generally, on a machine of that size, you're going to be looking for a 6-ply rated tire. They're available in nearly every size with a turf tread, if that's what works best for you. I run turf tires on my substantially larger and heavier 3033R, moving logs around constantly with it, with no trouble whatsoever.

Industrial tires are another good option, if you don't mind a little more lawn damage. But don't let anyone tell you R4's are somehow better than an appropriately-rated turf tire for loader use on a machine like yours, as that's simply not true.

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #22  
That's not true. The problem is not that it's a turf tire, but that it's the wrong turf tire. They come in a range of ratings for each size.

Tires are a dealer select item, and many choose to put the cheapest 4-ply rated turf tires on their machines, which are completely inappropriate for loader use. I haven't checked the 1025R manual, but the other Deere manuals I've owned call out specific ply ratings for all types of tires (including turf) for use with the loader.

Generally, on a machine of that size, you're going to be looking for a 6-ply rated tire. They're available in nearly every size with a turf tread, if that's what works best for you. I run turf tires on my substantially larger and heavier 3033R, moving logs around constantly with it, with no trouble whatsoever.

Industrial tires are another good option, if you don't mind a little more lawn damage. But don't let anyone tell you R4's are somehow better than an appropriately-rated turf tire for loader use on a machine like yours, as that's simply not true.
Agree on the ply but you're trying to compare a 27 tire to an 18 tire...

/ Factory front tires on 1025R
Thanks everyone, yeah... I have a call in to the dealer about this. The owner sold me the previous 650 in the early 90's, and knew that the 1025R was to be the replacement for the much appreciated 650, when it was lost in the fire. I guess I felt pressure to "move fast" as this was during Covid, when things were hard to get. The day of the fire, he told me he had one 1025R left, and the next were months away. I needed the tractor badly, so I said yes, without really comparing the 1025R to my 650.

I'm pretty happy with the 1025R, just rather insulted that the tires died so fast/were wrongly selected on my behalf. John Deere, on the whole, should know better!

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #24  
Agree on the ply but you're trying to compare a 27 tire to an 18 tire...
True. But I'm operating a configuration with almost exactly double the lift capacity and breakout force, all at 50% greater extension and height.

Deere is pretty good, between the tractor and loader manuals, in specifying which tire configurations are acceptable. I'll be real surprised if a 6-ply turf tire is not approved for use with that loader, but I haven't personally checked it. Either way, we can agree the 4-ply turf tire that the dealer installed on that tractor was likely a poor choice.

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #25  
Happens all the time, some people strongly object to the R4's thinking they'll tear up the grass. I don't think the R4's on that size tractor do any damage the turfs don't do.
I agree. My old 2210 has R4s. I don't mow when it's muddy. Only place I notice damage is where I repeatedly make sharp turns in the same track. Probably have that damage with Turfs as well.

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #26  
Thanks everyone, yeah... I have a call in to the dealer about this. The owner sold me the previous 650 in the early 90's, and knew that the 1025R was to be the replacement for the much appreciated 650, when it was lost in the fire. I guess I felt pressure to "move fast" as this was during Covid, when things were hard to get. The day of the fire, he told me he had one 1025R left, and the next were months away. I needed the tractor badly, so I said yes, without really comparing the 1025R to my 650.

I'm pretty happy with the 1025R, just rather insulted that the tires died so fast/were wrongly selected on my behalf. John Deere, on the whole, should know better!
I'm pretty sure the Dealer orders his stock. JD has no idea, nor do they care, the ultimate purpose of the tractor. Dealer had one left that was ordered on the cheap end. Then the Dealer installed the FEL and sold it to you.

If any of that is true, I place some of the blame on the Dealer.

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #27  
   / Factory front tires on 1025R #28  
   / Factory front tires on 1025R
Well... The plot thickens...

My local tire dealer ordered replacement 6 ply, 18x8.50-10 tires for me. It didn't work, they're wrong:

IMG_0656.JPG

Same nomenclature....

IMG_0657.JPG

We agreed that my tire is inflated, and the new one's not, but the diameter is not going to increase 3" when that 6 ply is inflated on my rim!

So he patched my leaking tire on the inside for a temporary repair. In the mean time, the other front tire is on its way out....

IMG_0654.JPG

So I guess I'll go tire shopping with a measuring tape!

/ Factory front tires on 1025R #30  
good luck