Farm UTV/RTV Purchase

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #151  
The 1000cc defender we used had a governor which limited its speed to about 45 as I recall. This was a purely a work machine and occasionally when going to job site X, we hit that governors limit. It was still a fine machine, just annoying to have limited your top end.
yeah, This mule is governed at 25. A cow is much faster and quicker LOL

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #152  
Did the OP ever state the intended use on his 22 acres?

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #153  
Not that I recall. This type of thread is useful for many considering similar purchases.

I would like something in the 'middle'. No need for a fast UTV, but I'd like about 45 MPH when needed. I don't live near mountains, and only have one hill (my Outback can make that climb). Shooting for a 3 seat model. Maybe a Kioti? Still very open on brand, especially since nearly anything will be order and wait...

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #154  
I would like something in the 'middle'. No need for a fast UTV, but I'd like about 45 MPH when needed. I don't live near mountains, and only have one hill (my Outback can make that climb). Shooting for a 3 seat model. Maybe a Kioti? Still very open on brand, especially since nearly anything will be order and wait...

Other than the current shortages your timing is good because most manufacturers have been bringing out SxS models marketed in between work and sport. My 60" Mule Pro MX is just such one, governed to 45 mph, although it fits 3 adults across (snuggly) it's classified as a two seater since there's only 2 seatbelts. The Mule 66" FX or FXR are 3 seaters. Also Yamaha Wolverine, Honda Pioneer 1000, various Polaris'. And of course the tractor brand versions, Gators, Mectron, RTV.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #155  
Something like this would be my choice…JDM

9A1DA52D-950F-4802-A986-83D0000E5CA1.png

This example isn’t 4x4 but, they are available.

Mike

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #156  
Something like this would be my choice…JDM

....This example isn’t 4x4 but, they are available.

Mike
A 30 year old mini truck? I guess if you have access to parts to keep one running..... I rode in one of those (I believe it was a Nissan) on a paved road and the thing rode like a buckboard, I couldn't imaging pounding down a rocky road or even across a field, much less a trail on one.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #157  
The delineation line today is speed. The Polaris/can-am/Yamaha use belt driven chassis. The Kubota uses HST transmissions.

The Kubota can do more work, but is painfully slow. Any hills you have basically neuter's the machine. The others can go much faster and are more nimble, but may suffer in pure work type activities.

Honestly, the belt driven machines have so much power, they really don't suffer in the work realm anymore. They are not a purpose built machine like the Kubota.
I am leaning towards a Roxor, parts are a lot cheaper (at present).

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #158  
I am leaning towards a Roxor, parts are a lot cheaper (at present).
Can the Roxor be tagged for on road use? Depending on where you are, and local laws, as well as how the sheriffs office enforce them, if you can get it tagged for on road, that is a nice bonus.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #159  
Perhaps some states have loopholes, but the Roxor doesn’t meet EPA on road emissions standards or DOT safety standards, so the general answer is no.

Some states, Arizona being one I am familiar with, have oddball exceptions allowing home brew modifications like adding turn signals and wipers so that side by sides can be driven in the roads.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #160  
In FLA, each county can choose if they allow ATVs/UTVs on roads with post speeds of 35mph or less; our county specifically does NOT, however, they don't enforce it. I want to say Tenn allows you to basically tag them as a motorcycle, I think.

Where we live, there are hundreds of miles of dirt and sand roads, probably 70% of them are not maintained at all, so it gives a lot of places to just ride, and if your dropping 15k to 30k+; having fun is a nice bonus to a utility purchase.