Farmall's are coming back!!!

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Farmall\'s are coming back!!!

Anyone been to Case-IH's website lately? I noticed they are releasing a line of compacts with the Farmall logo.

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #4  
Re: Farmall\'s are coming back!!!

The reborn Farmalls will have more models than current, starting at 18 hp and going to 55 hp. If you are at a Case IH dealer, they have a poster showing some of the new models. Interesting that IH invented the compact tractor with the Cub and will have compacts with similar horsepowers to the originals...

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #5  

Too bad that the local dealers have no idea about when they might be able to get them. I checked 6 dealers in my area (ohio ,and western Pa ) and couldn't find out a thing about them . DX 33 ,DX35 ) . Too bad as they looked to be good machines . I'm going with Kubota (L3130 ) . It's really a shame to walk away from a brand due to lack of knowledge on the dealers part . John

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #6  

Magnum:

<font color="blue">Interesting that IH invented the compact tractor</font>

False. The CUT concept was first mass produced by Ford in his Fordson tractor and 20 years later the 9n. All CUTs being sold today evolved from these.

<font color="blue">The reborn Farmalls . . . </font>

I havn't seen these so-called "Farmalls" but I'll take Woodbeef's comment that they are simply rebadged existing tractors. It is a marketing ploy by Fiat (CNH) to play to the ignorant by using the Farmall name.

The "farm-all" developed in the 1920s was IHCs response to the Fordson's growing market share. The Fordson replaced the horse for plowing and some power work on the farm, but the farmer still needed horses for some tasks, such as cultivation. The General Purpose (or GP) tractor was IHCs effort to replace the horse alltogether, hense, "farmall". Not only would it plow and provide power work like the Fordson, but it would also, with it's high ground clearance and adjustable wheel widths, do cultivation and row crow work. The tricycle configuration, high ground clearance and easy turning (light front end) allowed the farmer to simply eliminated the need for the horse. This configuration remained popular until the late 1950s and early 1960s when increasing use of herbicides eliminated the need for cultivation. Also, the popularity of the 3pt hitch made the farmall configuration less desirable. There were some "wide-front" farmalls made but they were compromises until they adopted the utility configuration first mass produced by Ford in the Fordson and later by Ford-Ferguson in the 9n.

Again, the use of the Farmall name is merely a ploy to fool the ignorant. I seriously doubt there would be much demand for a real Farmall type tractor today. Small farmers (are there any left?), truck gardeners, etc. who need cultivation ability are better served by the old Allis-Chalmers G model. This is being built today (or the same configuration is) by the Saukville tractor which can even use Allis-Chalmers G implements.

JEH

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #7  

<font color="blue"> Again, the use of the Farmall name is merely a ploy to fool the ignorant.</font>
Exactly who this would fool? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif There are 2 groups of people;

1. They know the Farmall history and name - One look at these tractors and they'll know thay aren't the same.

2. They know nothing about the Farmall history and name - Farmall will simply be the name of this line of tractors to them with no legacy, good or bad.

As Dr. Freud might have said about this, "Sometimes a marketing name is just a marketing name." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Farmall's are coming back!!!

I grew up on a dairy farm that used Farmalls exclusively. I know the new ones will have almost nothing in common with the old ones, save maybe the decals and some red paint. While it probably is a marketing ploy, I think it's great to remember a name that played such a huge roll in Case-IH's heritage.

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #9  

<font color="red"> I think it's great to remember a name that played such a huge roll in Case-IH's heritage.</font>
Using the noun 'ploy' (see definition below) implies a less than honorable motive on the part of Case-IH. A more charitable evaluation, absent proof to the contrary, is what you stated, a desire to keep a proud name alive.

Ploy - n An action calculated to frustrate an opponent or gain an advantage indirectly or deviously; a maneuver:

/ Farmall's are coming back!!! #10  

The real reason the farmalls are comming back is do to a marketing survey that CNH did. Farmall was the most recognized name that they had when the consumers where given a list of names to pick from.