Fast Internet

/ Fast Internet #21  
A few months ago I signed up with Frontier and the only thing available was DSL with 20down 1up speed but it was easy to install since I already had a phone line installed 30 years ago. Looks like they are going to run more fiber down my road (and it seems every road in my area) so I assume there may be more options in the future. Can I assume to get higher speeds a cable would need to be run from the main line to my house? If so, Do they charge for that? My biggest issue with what I have is not speed but reliability. Not sure if the occasional outages are from them hooking more up to the system or they just have crappy service. I know their service support is poor.
Fiber doesnt run on phone lines, at least in my area it is underground. They then solder up a connection to your house, they may charge if your house is a certain distance from the road and their fiber line

/ Fast Internet #22  
Most people don't need the blazing speed for regular home use, the speed you have is fine. If you get a bunch of people at your house using the internet simultaneously, things might be different.
making due with 14 down and 4 up on the now ancient Mobley, but at $22 a month not complaining

/ Fast Internet #23  
How much speed do you need?
Our Century Link DSL, gives 10 Megabit downloads and .6 Megabit up loads.
And we do Zooms and watch Youtubes and Stream Content just fine. Not at 4K, but who needs 4K? $107 a month with local phone included. Upload IS slow, but we are not content creators, so it isn't a problem. Upload and get a cup of coffee. :)

Unfortunately internet providers are trying their best to kill off DSL. You can't even buy a new DSL modem at any brick and mortar store in my area.
:)

Last edited:
   / Fast Internet #24  
Fiber doesnt run on phone lines, at least in my area it is underground. They then solder up a connection to your house, they may charge if your house is a certain distance from the road and their fiber line
600 feet underground bore 24" deep with 3 pedestals along the way was under 15k to get fiber from nearest aerial to house in Washington.

/ Fast Internet #25  
While ATT fiber is faster than our Spectrum service, the key difference is reliable connection. The cable modem would lose connection and have to reboot several times per day. It was improved a bit after a lot of complaints to Spectrum. Tech came out and replaced several outside connections. Even after the service, reliable service was poor and most aggravating. In the 18 months of ATT fiber, have only lost connection when the power went out.

/ Fast Internet #26  
All above ground here. Very few utility lines buried...soil is waaay too rocky. Maybe some developments in/near cities, but not in rural areas. There is a support cable that the fiber bundle is bound to.

/ Fast Internet #29  
My only option for years was either dial-up or Hughesnet. Hughesnet Gen5 worked pretty good until covid hit and then I was lucky to get 2 mbps and no upload. I put a deposit down on Starlink in February '21 but even now it's still not in my area. Last November I was able to get T Mobil 5G home internet with speeds over 150mbps. In June they upgraded the tower and my speeds doubled to over 300mbps. The county I live in has made a push to get fiber optic cable available to anyone who wants it and a month ago they ran a line down my road. Yesterday I had Frontier Gig service installed, 1000mbps. Never thought I'd be able to get fiber optic. Quite a difference in a year's time.
That's amazing!!!! A couple years ago somebody installed a fiber optic line along the road in front of my place, next to my property line. We've sort of been waiting for somebody to contact us about connecting to it, but so far, nothing. I don't even know who to contact.

I searched my address to see if Frontier was in my area, but it isn't.

I'm using Skynet Country, out of Gladewater, which is fast enough for us to watch TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. My wife works from home and she has a lot of Zoom meetings. For the Zoom to work, she has to unplug the ROKU and turn off everything else that uses the internet. The fastest speed available with Skynet is 12mbps for $99 a month.

I really need to figure out how to connect to that fiber optic line!!!!!

/ Fast Internet #30  
That's amazing!!!! A couple years ago somebody installed a fiber optic line along the road in front of my place, next to my property line. We've sort of been waiting for somebody to contact us about connecting to it, but so far, nothing. I don't even know who to contact.

I searched my address to see if Frontier was in my area, but it isn't.

I'm using Skynet Country, out of Gladewater, which is fast enough for us to watch TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. My wife works from home and she has a lot of Zoom meetings. For the Zoom to work, she has to unplug the ROKU and turn off everything else that uses the internet. The fastest speed available with Skynet is 12mbps for $99 a month.

I really need to figure out how to connect to that fiber optic line!!!!!
I managed a 4-plex where the tenants were told the cable would have to be underground to hookup.

The adjoining apartment building on a zero lot line had cable and kicker is the feed for that building ran the full length of the building I managed and could not get cable.

“Somehow” that feed cable was damaged replacing facia trim on my building knocking out cable to adjoining 8 units.

I refused to allow anything to be attached to my building unless my tenants benefited.

Let’s just say it all got worked out between the city, provider, tenants and building owners very quickly.

Months of wrangling resolved in a morning as city and provider faced lots of upset tenants.