Fast Internet

/ Fast Internet
That's amazing!!!! A couple years ago somebody installed a fiber optic line along the road in front of my place, next to my property line. We've sort of been waiting for somebody to contact us about connecting to it, but so far, nothing. I don't even know who to contact.

I searched my address to see if Frontier was in my area, but it isn't.

I'm using Skynet Country, out of Gladewater, which is fast enough for us to watch TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. My wife works from home and she has a lot of Zoom meetings. For the Zoom to work, she has to unplug the ROKU and turn off everything else that uses the internet. The fastest speed available with Skynet is 12mbps for $99 a month.

I really need to figure out how to connect to that fiber optic line!!!!!
Check to see if there's junction box close by. Should be a sunken box that looks like a valve box. The one in front of my house has Frontier on it. I talked to a contractor that was burying the cable and he told me it was for Frontier. Gave them a call, set up an installation appointment. Only thing now is waiting for another crew to come and bury the cable to the house, probably this next week. Frontier had two options for fiber, the 500/500 or the Gig service which was $15/month more. I plan on installing several security cameras so I went with the Gig service. Still much cheaper than I paid for Hughesnet which was basically useless.

/ Fast Internet #32  
That's amazing!!!! A couple years ago somebody installed a fiber optic line along the road in front of my place, next to my property line. We've sort of been waiting for somebody to contact us about connecting to it, but so far, nothing. I don't even know who to contact.

I searched my address to see if Frontier was in my area, but it isn't.

I'm using Skynet Country, out of Gladewater, which is fast enough for us to watch TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. My wife works from home and she has a lot of Zoom meetings. For the Zoom to work, she has to unplug the ROKU and turn off everything else that uses the internet. The fastest speed available with Skynet is 12mbps for $99 a month.

I really need to figure out how to connect to that fiber optic line!!!!!
I have a bunch of state of the art fiber buried in the road here. It is a private run to a big facility eight or ten miles west of us. I got to know one of the folks over there and he told me that they had a bunch of dark (unused) fiber in the street, just in case.

Tantalizing, but zero chance at accessing it.

My bet is that if you haven't heard from anyone, it is a private run for somebody else.

All the best,

Peter

/ Fast Internet #33  
Just for fun I ran a couple of Fast.com this morning.

2.5 Mbps Home Hot Spot T-Mobile and Verizon

Same 5G at work is interesting with two different phones.

200 Mbps Apple 6s

40 Mbps Moto

No idea why it varies so much but I know at home sometimes I got nothin…

/ Fast Internet #34  
Just for fun I ran a couple of Fast.com this morning.

2.5 Mbps Home Hot Spot T-Mobile and Verizon

Same 5G at work is interesting with two different phones.

200 Mbps Apple 6s

40 Mbps Moto

No idea why it varies so much but I know at home sometimes I got nothin…
Your post prompted me to do the same...

Unloaded
42 ms

Loaded
148 ms

Upload
Speed
710 Kbps

/ Fast Internet #35  
My only option for years was either dial-up or Hughesnet. Hughesnet Gen5 worked pretty good until covid hit and then I was lucky to get 2 mbps and no upload. I put a deposit down on Starlink in February '21 but even now it's still not in my area. Last November I was able to get T Mobil 5G home internet with speeds over 150mbps. In June they upgraded the tower and my speeds doubled to over 300mbps. The county I live in has made a push to get fiber optic cable available to anyone who wants it and a month ago they ran a line down my road. Yesterday I had Frontier Gig service installed, 1000mbps. Never thought I'd be able to get fiber optic. Quite a difference in a year's time.
Damn you are lucky. I live 45 minutes from downtown Dallas and have been trying to get faster than 10MB for more than 10 years. I am considering trying T Mobile Business plan that is wireless. They have a free trial period. They guy says he thinks it will work, but they can't garauntee speeds where I live. Starlink came here, and I was busy when I got the "you have a week to respond" email and missed it. I got my deposit back. With all the oversold talk I've heard I am no longer looking at Starlink.

/ Fast Internet #36  
Out here it's satellite internet service or nothing. I started out with a service called Starband. It went kaput and I moved on to HughesNet. It's not the fastest but is sufficient for my needs.

/ Fast Internet #37  
My only option for years was either dial-up or Hughesnet. Hughesnet Gen5 worked pretty good until covid hit and then I was lucky to get 2 mbps and no upload. I put a deposit down on Starlink in February '21 but even now it's still not in my area. Last November I was able to get T Mobil 5G home internet with speeds over 150mbps. In June they upgraded the tower and my speeds doubled to over 300mbps. The county I live in has made a push to get fiber optic cable available to anyone who wants it and a month ago they ran a line down my road. Yesterday I had Frontier Gig service installed, 1000mbps. Never thought I'd be able to get fiber optic. Quite a difference in a year's time.
I live in Kaufman County southeast of Dallas. How in the heck did the county decide to invest in that? We are in a growing area, and I've been stuck at sub 10MB DSL for over 10 years. You would think we lived in a wilderness area when it comes to Internet service.

/ Fast Internet #38  
If you city or provider isn't getting you fiber now it's because they don't care. Federal government is paying for it if they apply for the grants.

/ Fast Internet #39  
If you city or provider isn't getting you fiber now it's because they don't care. Federal government is paying for it if they apply for the grants.
Thanks. I'll look into that.

/ Fast Internet #40  
Thanks. I'll look into that.
I put in 20k feet of conduit for it last month. One run was a mile long driveway with just two houses at the end. That would have been crazy $$ if the homeowners had to pay for it.