Fatal Tractor Rollover

/ Fatal Tractor Rollover #51  
I saw the results of that happen once. My neighbor left with his buddy in his jacket up Toyota to catch some trout... two hours later came back on a flatbed. They were going down the interstate doing about 65 when the front ujoint of the rear driveshaft failed, and they went end for end down the highway. He had just had both driveshafts rebuilt.
Yikes!
I could be mistaken but believe that newer vehicles have a cross member which keeps the driveshaft from hitting the ground if it fails.
Back when I was occasionally taking my street cars to the track, I remember having to add a driveshaft hoop to one of them, before they'd let me bring it back to the track. But I haven't noticed any provisions on any of my factory cars, not that I've been specifically looking for it.

/ Fatal Tractor Rollover #52  
Some longer wheelbase trucks have a carrier bearing midship, but that doesn’t always solve the problem.

/ Fatal Tractor Rollover #53  
long bed pickup has a 3 section Drive shaft and u-joints. I had trouble with vibration or the balance. When I called the dealer about the problem NTM and low miles they had me bring it in ASAP. Took them a couple days but never a problem since 100.000 miles easy. Only one section does it look like it could break at a joint that may cause a problem. Rear end to mid Drive line. The section forward from that to the Trans. No way. It has a bearing looking bracket to hold it in place.

/ Fatal Tractor Rollover #55  
UTDABF That one remember the Typo!

Last edited:
   / Fatal Tractor Rollover #56  
I blew a U-Joint on my old AMC Hornet. Driving down the freeway, it felt like I had a blowout. Pulled over, all tires ok. Back on the road, no dice. Removed the drive shaft and coasted into Wolf Creek, and called my grandparents.

That was long before cell phones.

/ Fatal Tractor Rollover #58  
Never heard of him and tractor safety? Yrs. Ago TV. Drama Queen ?

Last edited: