Feeding out calves

/ Feeding out calves #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi Board,

I'm considering feeding out a couple calves. I had 2 horses before so i'm sort of setup already. Here's what I already have and don't have.

I have:

About 1 acre fenced with horse fence with a hotwire at about 5 ft. I think I'd need to work on the hotwire.

Another 3 acres with the fence just started. It can be connected to the existing pasture and shed/water. I'm thinking about finishing it with high tensile if I'm going to get a couple calves.

A walk in shed 16' x 10' with square bale storeage in the top for 60 bales.

A round bale feeder.

A 37 horse tractor with loader, mower, posthole digger etc.

A long bed pickup truck. I'm thinking about getting a stock rack. What do you guys thing about hauling a couple steers in a pickup truck to take them to the sale barn?

If hauling in a pickup would work, I'm would consider either digging and building a loading pit or building a cattle shute which ever is cheaper or easier to use.

I'm a greenhorn. I've got a lot of questions but I'm just starting to think about this.

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

/ Feeding out calves #3  
When I was a kid we hauled one 600 pound 4-H calf in the pick-up. And we learned some things.

When a 600 pound calf steps on the tail gate, it gets bent.

The bed of the truck will get big dents in it.

If it's head isn't tied down it will try to climb out.

It will rock the truck so hard that driving is a full time job even at slow speeds.

/ Feeding out calves #4  
Yep, before you get that stock rack for your pickup, you can sure believe what bigtiller just told you. And he didn't even get into the fun you can have with some of them just getting them into the truck.:D In my opinion, you'll save money and grief by buying a trailer.

/ Feeding out calves #5  
keep your eye on your local craigslist. i see older 2 horse trailers going for cheep, some with ok floors, others with "needs floor" but for $400... hard to beat