FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
Tomorrow, we should finish adding 26' and 30' shed roofs to the 60' length of our shop building. We are using 26' and 30' I-beams.

The challenge we had was to set and align the I-beams on top of the columns at approximately 14'-17' (max) above grade with our Kubota FEL that has 11' max lift height. These beams are too heavy to lift and carrry up a ladder, and stacking pallets on the forks for extra height and then lifting would not allow enough maneuverability of the beam during placement to perfectly align and then weld the I-beams to the columns.

We fabricated an attachment (calling it my "crane") for the pallet forks that gives us close to 18' lift height and a work platform. First we put a pallet on the forks for a work platform, and then we slotted the attachment onto the tips of the pallet forks. Since we suspended the I-beams with a single chain, we could easily fine tune alignment as we guided it onto the tops of the columns.

This was too cool! I had to share with the TBN group. Pictures are attached.

It was funny when one of the men helping me asked if I wanted him to cut the attachment apart and put the materials back on my scrap pile. Heck no ... no chance!! I'm going to find something else to build. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG00408.jpg
    IMG00408.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 842
  • FEL crane implement Kubota IMG00036-20101008-1211.jpg
    FEL crane implement Kubota IMG00036-20101008-1211.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 776
   / FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #2  
Very cool. Some will likely complain about safety issues. Glad it worked for you, seems like an excellent solution to the challenge.

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height
Thanks.

You are correct about safety issues. But, I had those issues fully in mind, did some initial tests to determine certain tolerances and load balance, and then said a prayer. <joking> But, really, we did initial tests of the attachment strength, counter weight, and load balance since I had my wake up call on day one of the build when I was moving a load of columns ...

Rear wheels in the air ... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/184385-front-end-loader-rear-wheels.html

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #4  
Amazing what a "compact" tractor can do. My wife calls it "The Mule".

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #5  
By the looks other soon to be projects will be a lot easier..nice setup.

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #6  
Very nice setup.:thumbsup:

/ FEL -- now we have 16'+ lift height #8  
OMG, how many OSHA violations in those pictures can you count?