FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #11  
I homebuilt a manual front plow that I can slip on the bottom of the bucket and is held on with a chain binder. That way if I need to move some snow, unhook plow and bucket it out of the way then reattach blade. Use this on a Bolens [Iskei] G1502. Not a factory FEL, come from a Mitsubishi 200/2000. Bought off Ebay many years ago and built subframe for it. Works for me.

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #12  
Hands down a power angle front snow plow.

Attachments

• HPIM1352.JPG
    HPIM1352.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 397

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #13  
Adding on to nybirdman's post, if you adjust the 3 point lowering speed faster, the rear blade will float better. There is no need to alter the toplink, other than to get the frame level so that the angled blade remains level to the surface.

I also prefer front and rear plows, or a 3 point blower for larger snows. As far as the edge, a poly edge is going to wear faster on a tar and chip surface, but likely still doable. I would likely use a steel edge if pavement marking were not an issue. The polyurethane edges will wear the fastest, and UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) polyethylene will wear much better. I run the UHMW polyethylene edges front and rear to avoid complaints about pavement marking.

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #14  
I think a front plow is better. With trip springs and some care I don’t think your FEL will be ok. The rear blade does ok but if you get deeper snow they don’t work as well. The advantage of a rear blade is it’s cheaper.

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #15  
For a mile of road to clear, I wouldn't even think about a rear blade. Not because it won't work, but because I'd have to go to the chiropractor after every snow plowing session. Your neck will be killing you to look backwards for that amount of time.

Also unless you mount a rear light bar, you'll have trouble seeing your "guidelines" for the road in heavily shaded areas, or at dusk or later, and you could be the one getting "stuck".

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #16  
You are gonna get lots of opinions. I have moved a lot of snow with a back blade. I have never thought that I missed having a front plow. We get 20’ average of snow in winter. Only issue, but is same with both your options, is when the piles on the side get too much. I have had a rear blower now for 2 seasons after 20 years of a back blade.

I really like having the bucket on the front so I don’t get stuck. I can get myself out of everything rolling the bucket. I have done that with a neighbors front plow, but wasn’t as effective, but still got it free.
IMG_0264.jpeg

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #17  
I have a mile long gravel driveway. For the first 27 years I had a Ford 1700 with a rear blade. On rare occasions I'd wait too long - the snow would get too deep - the rear blade would tend to push the rear of the tractor around.

Now I have a Kubota M6040. FEL with grapple - Rimguard in the rear tires - 1000# Rhino rear blade. In this configuration the tractor weighs - 10,000 pounds. I offset - angle the rear blade and go down the driveway like smoke and oakum. It takes two passes to clear the driveway. Sore neck and shoulders - NEVER. Once the blade is set - it's just - - go like the wind.

Now - you want to talk about a REAL PITA. I had a 3-point blower for the Ford. Used it when the snow got really deep. At least four hours to clear the driveway and mailbox area. Another hour or so to clear the yard.

My neck and shoulders would take two or three days to "heal" after using the blower. That's one of the major reasons I went to the Kubota. Bigger, heavier tractor with a HD rear blade could handle the deepest snows.

This is my snow machine..........
IMG_0009.jpeg

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #18  
Hands down a power angle front snow plow.

Attachments

• HPIM1352.JPG
    HPIM1352.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 397
8 foot ? How much snow before it bogs down?

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #19  
I like the front mounted plough. I built my own and it works very well. Takes about 20 min to remove the FEL and put on the snow plough. I use an angle blade on the rear with a hydraulic offset to clear the shop doors and places I need to pull the snow from. This also lets me push the snow windrow off the edge while keeping the tractor on the driveway.
Edit: Power angle and raise lower are driven by the loader valve. Power angle is great. I can plow deep snow to both sides of the driveway going downhill And cleanup around obsticals is really easy.
Cam

/ FEL plow vs. rear blade for 1 mile of infrequent chipseal road snow removal #20  
You need is not heavy or frequent so in your case the rear blade would be the economical solution. I use mine a lot and it becomes a problem once the mounds start to build up on the sides of the drive, but I doubt you will have that issue. When that happens, snow tends to fall back in and it takes many passes and some occasional bucket pushing to fix it. But for a rare use like you have, where I am assuming it often melts before the next one, this will be the cheapest way to get it done decently well. Also, if you are going to get a big dump, plow part way through so it doesn't overload the blade so much and then come back for a second pass later.

Since you use it driving forward, you don't need to look back a ton. I have a cab with outside mirrors, and those work great for double checking while driving with minimal turning around. Now if you were using a blower in reverse, then your neck would be killing you. If you catch on something, it will turn the tractor but unless you are flying down the lane or live on the edge of a thousand foot drop-off, that should be a non-event.

But what I would STRONGLY suggest to add to this is chains. Assuming you have 4wd, get front chains as they are much easier to install, and then plow only in 4wd. This will help a ton with traction if you have hills, and especially since you mentioned ice being an issue. Just remember to take it out of 4wd on dry pavement so you don't tear up anything expensive in the drive line...