FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop?

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I have a Woods 1016 loader on a Kubota L3410 HST. Under load there was a leak from the valve assembly, which was worsening (leak is not from any hose). I took off the boot and think I figured out where the leak is coming from. See the pictures - seems to be from the cylinder - plunger(?) wall - this is where I 'think' I see leakage under load - hard to discern. I replaced an o-ring on the connector piece that screws into the cylinder in case the leak was from there - did not resolve the issue.

I looked at my Woods manual (a manual for 1009, 1012, and 1016 loaders). The valve assembly/kit I have does not match any in the manual though the 1009 Husco valve in the manual comes close.

So not knowing what brand of valve assembly I have I cannot locate a blow-up diagram of the device and cannot determine what parts might work to fix it. The valve kits in the manual identify repair kits and seal kits but I apparently don't have any of those valve assemblies.

I can take it apart to try to spot the issue and perhaps find any part or seal or whatever I might need but that could be a dead end journey. I don't know what I might find and don't know if I will be able to find any parts I might need. Or, I could disconnect the valve assembly from the several quick disconnect hoses and from the three hard fastened tubes and take it to a shop to see if anyone can repair it.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0622.JPG
    IMG_0622.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 213
  • tractor valve.jpg
    tractor valve.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 214
   / FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #2  
It appears to be a stack valve, some were it should have some numbers on each section.
As an example on a Prince SV stack valve the attached pdf shows were they put the part numbers;
View attachment Prince SV.pdf

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #3  
I think you need a new valve ,The o ring seal is just a wiper seal if the spool is worn it will leak...

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop?
Peter, I assume you mean a complete valve assembly (kit)? If so, I also assume I need to get one to match what I now have - or at least as close as possible given the way it is mounted and where everything is routed and connected. I will try to find the part numbers and/or brand as LouNY suggested and go from there. I bought the tractor in 2003 so I guess I have had my share of use out of it.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

One more question - an unfair one I suppose - if I can find the part is this a DIY or is there something about the task that means a tractor mechanic/dealer is a better choice?

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #5  
If you take the valve off and take it to a hyd shop a good one can match it up , Just mark all the hoses and TAKE pictures so you will know where the hoses all go ...

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #6  
10 minute fix if you have the parts on hand. The cap on the other end of spool either screws off or there is two screws holding it on. Remove the cap there will be a spring in there, no it wont jump out on you. Remove the linkage on the control valve side of valve slide spool out the back side being careful not to damage the spool.
Right in the top of the valve casting there will be an O ring that is the part that is leaking, and needs to be replaced. Get a replacement at a hydraulic shop or a good tractor dealer, no big box store for this one. there will be one on the bottom of spool by the spring might as well replace that one too while you have it apart. No need to take valve off tractor.
I don’t understand why people post about repairs when they know nothing about or have never worked on this stuff.

Thanks true temper. Great to hear your advice. I need the tractor for some light work this weekend (filling a drop-off box they will pick up on Monday) but will then follow your advice and open it up on Sunday and shop for the parts in town on Monday - checking with a tractor dealer and/or a hydraulic shop I have used before. If this works out you will have saved me a great deal of trouble and expense. I really appreciate that you took the time to read the post and respond.

Okay, true temper - this morning I did as you advised - there were two screws to remove. I unhooked the top linkage and slid it out - exposing a plastic ring and an o-ring at the top. I will take this in to the hydraulic shop this morning. One issue - perhaps you can also help with this - or the hydraulic shop can give me advice - when I took off the casing, as you said, a small spring fell out. Not a problem, but also falling out apparently with the spring were three small ball bearings and one slightly larger. I suspect there is supposed to be a fourth small ball bearing as I heard a ping. Used a magnet bar to search under the tractor but have not found what made the ping- suspect something dropped but I have all the screws, spacers and other parts. I will ask about the bearings and putting the spring back in at the hydraulic shop.

Anyway, again, thanks for your help - I thought you would appreciate an update. Off to the shop.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #9  
That spool you are working on is your loader boom spool. The balls are to hold the spool into the float position when you push the handle all the way forward. I am not sure how many balls should be in there, to be honest I forgot about the float function. But you found the bad Orings?

True temper, I went to the hydraulic shop - they did not sell o-rings (no sku) and only kept a supply for their repairs but they sent me to where I could buy them so bought a set with multiple sizes (419 rings - go figure). Also went to the dealer as needed some things there and chatted with their shop guys about the bearings - there are four - one larger one and three smaller ones - and they told me how to reinstall them as they won't stay in place without a bit of grease.

Missing one small bearing but found where I can get them (7/32") and will get that tomorrow and then put it all back together.

All seems good - I have replaced the top and bottom o-rings and have a lifetime supply for other things that always happen. There was a small nylon washer on top of the top o-ring but as I don't have a replacement for that I will reinstall the one that was there.

I really appreciate your help. I was a bit intimidated about opening up the valve assembly - not knowing what I might find or screw up but now once I have been in there and understand the system a bit I am no longer intimidated about tackling similar problems.

Looking forward to some seat time in a day or so.