FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop?

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #11  
How many hoses do you have on that loader valve (total)?

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #13  
That nylon ring is called a backup ring, it helps protect the O ring under high pressure. The old one should be fine. I have worked on a lot of hydraulics over the years.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop?
All back together and running and working without leaks. I suppose the real test will be under a major load - we will get to tasks requiring some load on the system in a few days.

Happy to have this behind me. True temper - I would not have managed this without your advice.

Last edited:
   / FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #15  
Hmm, this gives me hope for my loader valve... it's making a mess...

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #16  
I hate leaks, if it don’t leak now it wont leak under pressure.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #17  
I hate leaks, if it don’t leak now it wont leak under pressure.

Actually if tractor is running, it is under pressure. Higher idle may slightly higher pressure but more flow increase than pressure increase.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop?

Actually if tractor is running, it is under pressure. Higher idle may slightly higher pressure but more flow increase than pressure increase.

Thanks - was not sure about that, i.e., just running or while using the FEL under a heavy load/task such as moving boulders or moving heavy dirt loads. It was while I was digging into a hillside - and possibly really pushing the tractor - that I first saw the leak.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #19  

Actually not really,
an open center system does not develop pressure until a valve is at least partially operated,
diverting flow into a confined space to create pressure.
Untill a valve directs and diverts flow in an open center system the fluid is just flowing through with minimal pressure,
just what ever resistance to flow the piping is developing.
Higher engine/pump speed will increase the flow rate.
All that creates pressure is restricting the flow rate.

/ FEL Valve assembly issue - DIY or shop? #20  
Actually not really,
an open center system does not develop pressure until a valve is at least partially operated,
diverting flow into a confined space to create pressure.
Untill a valve directs and diverts flow in an open center system the fluid is just flowing through with minimal pressure,
just what ever resistance to flow the piping is developing.
Higher engine/pump speed will increase the flow rate.
All that creates pressure is restricting the flow rate.

Since pressure and flow is generated by the pump, I disagree!
As you idle up, you will see a vast increase in flow and to a lesser degree some pressure increase. The only other time that pressure increases is a restriction of some type. This restriction could be going to a designed reduction of flow—large suction to smaller pressure hose/line. The only way a valve operating changes pressure is if it restricts the flow—going from a larger port to a smaller port.