Fertilizing, overseeding?

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #1  

prof fate

Platinum Member
Tractor
kioti ck3510 Cub Cadet 149, 2146, Toro Zero Turn
Got a deal, um, steal I mean, on a 3 point broadcast spreader ($35!!) And 200lb of 16-6-16 tractor supply pasture fertilizer ($20).

I have about 10 acres I'll be haying later this week. It has some areas that I plan to plow (disk heavily) and replant.

"hayseed"...i'm in western PA so cool season grasses, but how much for new seeding and can one overseed/reseed a pasture? Where to buy seed?

Fertilizer - it's been a horse pasture for 20 years and they fertilized it - now I can do it. When and at what rate per acre?

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #2  
As far as fertilizing goes, the best thing you can do is get a soil test done. No sense spending money on fertilizer your soil does not need.
Do a web search for ‘pasture renovation’, ‘fertilizing pastures’, ‘pasture seeding’ etc. Lots of universities have done studies and write-ups on these topics. Also contact a local ag extension office if you have one.
Good luck!

Last edited:
   / Fertilizing, overseeding? #3  
What type of grass currently.
Now Is best time to fertilize fescue. High nitrogen, fertilize again at end of October.

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #4  
Agree with Streetcar but also agree with mjw357 re soil test, but the soil test will not show whether it needs nitrogen or not because nitrogen isn't tested, as it is too mobile. Main thing is to check the pH for the type grass you want. I'd NOT lime up to what they recommend though. Usually they say gobs of lime to get pH up closer to 7, but I'll bet yours is closer to 5.5. You really only need it up to about 6 for most grasses. Check with you ag agent though.

Ralph

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #5  
I fertilize at 100 lb to 150 lb pre acre 47-0-0 Get it at my local COOP. Get seed there too. The best way to over seed is after haying (think short grass) is to use a no till drill. You can rent one, or check with you local agg service as they may have a loner.

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #6  
Yeah, your AG office should have a renter. Ours xharges by the acre. Counter on drill.

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #7  
image.jpegWe have a fairly large yard ..approx 40k sf of grass to mow around the house. For years we have paid a company to do the fertilizer..roughly 1200.00 per year for this service. ..Over the years my lawn had gotten worse and worse instead of better and better...guy ALWAYS had a excuse..Too hot, too much rain, too little water, too cloudy, too humid ...blab bla bla... This past spring I fired him after about 10 years and decided to do it myself. I was late putting down pre emergent and had some weeds etc.. Pulled them as best I could and put down weed and feed from H Depot.. Then put down Lyme, Meloganite, and absolutely bombed it a month later with Tenasity to kill the bent grass and other weeds. Spot sprayed a few more times to get what I missed earlier. Today I mowed, dethatched, aerated and put down starter fertilizer. Tomorrow I'm going to drop 450 pounds of seed while the soil is still loose.
Pic attached from before it was aerated today...hasn't looked this good ever.

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #8  
Wish u were my neighbor. $1200 to fertilize less than an acre. Wow!!! I'd do it 3 times for that!! :)

/ Fertilizing, overseeding? #9  
Wish u were my neighbor. $1200 to fertilize less than an acre. Wow!!! I'd do it 3 times for that!! :)

The company was charging 185.00 per application. Then add if we wanted Lyme, add if we wanted grub x, add if we wanted to treat for red thread which we got every year, add add add .... this coming year I'm hitting it with pre emergent, 2 rounds of mologonite, a couple touch ups with tenacity and maybe a winterizer. I think it takes me about a hour per application and maybe 100.00 /200.00 if I put it down heavy.