Field clearing

/ Field clearing #1  

Rockbadchild

Veteran Member
Tractor
2076E Massey Ferguson
Ive been clearing overgrown land its mostly brush and ***** willow …. while ripping them lots of roots are staying behind, I am afraid these roots will cause me some issue while plowing. Should I be worried? I am considering buying a Subsoiler to remove these roots prior to start plowing but considering the $2000 price tag I am wondering if this is the best option ? should I consider a Skeleton grappler/ roots grappler or some other variation instead at $3000 … to be clear I will buy a Skeleton grappler eventually to be moving brush and other material but for now I have to choose only one …. the ground is clay and there isn't any rocks... I have a 60hp 4x4 subcompact tractor so the buckets is not the strongest, I am also skeptical putting it through this with a front loader attachment to remove roots and small stumps.

/ Field clearing #2  
A moldboard plow cannot remove stumps but a plow IN GOOD CONDITION behind a moderate weight compact tractor should not be troubled by tree roots to 1" diameter which the plow will cut and invert to the surface.

To be safe, either engage Draft Control if your tractor has Draft Control or use a plow with shear bolt or "trip" protection.

How many acres comprise this field?

VIDEO:

The plow operator in this video is not very experienced.

A Bucket Spade should allow you to excavate small stumps to about 3" in diameter.

Last edited:
   / Field clearing #3  
I use a chisel plow with multiple passes each way. Once the roots and stumps are up about the only way I have found to get them up is by hand. I would suspect a turn plow would roll them out but you still have the issue of getting them up. I just did this on a 1 acre plot that I cleared for my secondary garden.

/ Field clearing #4  
If you have enough tractor pulling the right sized plough you will cut up and turn most of roots. Subsequent cultivation should allow you to collect most of them. Cultivator with spikes and a rotary rake.

In the video the tractor was too small or the plough was too big. For that type of ploughing the wrong mouldboards were also being used. It was also not a very good plow.

/ Field clearing
A moldboard plow cannot remove stumps but a plow IN GOOD CONDITION behind a moderate weight compact tractor should not be troubled by tree roots to 1" diameter which the plow will cut and invert to the surface.

To be safe, either engage Draft Control if your tractor has Draft Control or use a plow with shear bolt or "trip" protection.

VIDEO:

A Bucket Spade should allow you to excavate small stumps to about 3" in diameter.

If you make your LOCATION a permanent part of your T-B-N PROFILE you will receive replies better tailored to your conditions.

right now I am working on a 21 acre field but most of it won't cause me problems its in the gully and a few low spots where there is bigger willow trees and since its softer ground not sure if I will be able to plow through but after that's I will have a other 20 acre to do and its pretty grown out with mostly brush and willows in low spots … see pictures below same patch, picture 2 have most rip out but that's what I am dealing with

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 124
   / Field clearing

VIDEO:

If you make your LOCATION a permanent part of your T-B-N PROFILE you will receive replies better tailored to your conditions.
it sound like the subsoiler would be the way to go

/ Field clearing
I use a chisel plow with multiple passes each way. Once the roots and stumps are up about the only way I have found to get them up is by hand. I would suspect a turn plow would roll them out but you still have the issue of getting them up. I just did this on a 1 acre plot that I cleared for my secondary garden.
Chisel plow ? meaning a cultivator ? … I have a cultivator but ive ben told the spikes are not strong enouph to remove roots from the ground.

/ Field clearing
No. A plow is designed for cutting through roots of all types. Turned up, roots will die in the sun.
I understand that... what I am saying is to go through with the subsoiler before turning the soil over so the roots don't jam the plow... some of these roots have 4 inch diameter the plow wont cut that ? especially if the ground is a little soft

/ Field clearing #10  
After clearing/leveling old spruce tree fields with 1150 case dozer, I use a chistle plow to break up the ground and work up remaining roots.

Chisle plowing works good for that, even better if you work the field one direction then work it again 'against' the previous direction. Say you chistle plowed the field north/south direction then work it a second time east/west direction....

A turn plow will work, the roots shouldn't bother it to much. But a turn plow does not work the soil like a chistle plow and other implements such as a disk, cultivator and or harrow will be needed