Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade.

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #71  
I mentioned the cooler in the last response to you because I remembered the issues you had when starting out. How did all of that work out?

It all worked out fine. If you remember, I had to fabricate a fitting to dump my return oil back into the fill hole. It's not the best set up, but it works and I have not had any issues with heat.

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #72  
Nice job on your build. I think it is phenomenal that you were able to fabricate your own laser grading system. I typically go in a different direction in that I go for low tech easy fabrications, but that does not meanit is better, in fact it just shows that i take the easy way out. Again, nice job...

The only thing I can add to all this is in regards to the hydraulic cooler discussion. I had issues with my bulldozer's hydraulic reverser heating up, and decided to add a TruCool Transmission Cooler. I bought one online (the largest size) for $80 and ran hydraulic lines to it, and it dramatically kept the transmission temperature cooler. That would be a lot cheaper than purchasing a $500 hydraulic cooler and net the same result.

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #73  
I'm wondering why the open center system on these hydraulic systems generate excessive heat. Is it that the valves are constantly reacting causing a lot of flow over the relief valve?

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #74  
   / Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade.
I'm wondering why the open center system on these hydraulic systems generate excessive heat. Is it that the valves are constantly reacting causing a lot of flow over the relief valve?

First let me say that presently I don't know if there will be a heat problem. In case it is needed I want to have a plan in place. Hogging dirt can work a machine very hard and that can lead to a need for extra cooling. So far my hydraulic oil temperature has reached 155F. That is very reasonable and no problem. T
That is measured with a Fluke 52 series thermometer I have that is very accurate.

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #76  
Started on this build last September and had to work on it in my spare time. Still have a few things left to do but was able to try it out today. I basically added caster wheels to the box blade. Usin g Topcon equipment and a Danfoss PVG 32 proportional valve. All joints were made with close tolerance bushing stock and have grease fittings.

I tried it out for about 6 hours today and it seemed to work pretty well.

Here are some pictures.

Could I get some more specific info on the hydraulic hook up. Will this Danfoss valve work with either open center or closed center systems due to the manifold the valves are mounted to. Did you get it from a local dealer or on line. And can you supply specific part numbers. Thanks

Could I get some more specific info on the hydraulic hook up. Will this Danfoss valve work with either open center or closed center systems due to the manifold the valves are mounted to. Did you get it from a local dealer or on line. And can you supply specific part numbers. Thanks

Sorry for the delay.
Let me know if you still need help with your hook up.

I have recently retired from all work but jobs I enjoy doing.:D:cool: Since I like tractor stuff I plan to continue as long as possible. I had a massive heart attack in 2019 and have spent the last year recovering. Not looking for sympathy but ready to spend some time on the tractors now.:D
To others over the next few weeks I will rework and discuss some of the issues in using the grading rig.

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #78  
Sorry for the delay.
Let me know if you still need help with your hook up.

I have recently retired from all work but jobs I enjoy doing.:D:cool: Since I like tractor stuff I plan to continue as long as possible. I had a massive heart attack in 2019 and have spent the last year recovering. Not looking for sympathy but ready to spend some time on the tractors now.:D
To others over the next few weeks I will rework and discuss some of the issues in using the grading rig.

jenkinsph, hope your recovery continues.

Thanks Kyle

/ Finally built a laser grading rig using my box blade. #80  
i would like to know the parts you used for the controls topcon i have johnson laser with slope settings
built a back hoe and didnt realize i bought normally open valves which made it good for a jack hammer
that was an expensive lesson
so want to get the correct controls think the dvg 32 valve is avalible in several spool configurations
want to use 2 cylinders like you did