Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE!

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #41  
I'd say that the NH dealer was missing a chance to look good for very little effort. Used to be common to take in simple jobs like that just for the good reputation - and also just for the fun of seeing something different.
I must have missed something. The OP said the NH dealer will do the repair for $250 and would take it in the next day. Getting it in that fast for that price sounds like a good deal to me.

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #42  
If the part is under warranty, I would consider making an appointment with the dealer 300 miles away, hauling it in and go spend the day doing something interesting while it is repaired. The dealer's cooperation in making the appointment and putting a mechanic on it as soon as it hit the parking lot, as well as having the expected (and unexpected!!) parts in stock so the was a painless repair, would determine my future purchases.
I am a reasonably capable mechanic and have no issues changing a seal. My reasons are what happens if you get it torn down and find an axle that had a casting defect which will just continue to cut the seal lips, or a bad pinion bearing which is allowing the axle to flop around causing the seal issue. My point is, see just how good the dealer is when it comes to working with you, at no risk to you, except for a shopping trip with your bride that might cost you more than $250!
I guess 300 miles isn't a big deal to me, since I routinely do twice that every day as a truck driver.
David from jax
Since the OP is now satisfied the way things are, and plans to do the repair himself, he's good.

Now speaking to the personal economics of hauling a tractor 10ish hours and 600 miles round trip to do a repair on a part that's less than $100 and takes less than 1 hour to do yourself....

🙃

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #43  
Remember. Warranties sell equipment. Not fix them

Playing the warranty game is like playing the lottery

I’ve had a few warranty claims on my truck. Dealer took care of all of it so far.
I’m a believer in warranties and with today’s overly complex, sometimes un fixable problems for the buyer, I actually buy extended warranties.
I also fix what I can fix myself once the warranty is shot.

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #44  
Since the OP is now satisfied the way things are, and plans to do the repair himself, he's good.

Now speaking to the personal economics of hauling a tractor 10ish hours and 600 miles round trip to do a repair on a part that's less than $100 and takes less than 1 hour to do yourself....

🙃
And what would happen if he got in there and found the reason for the seal being bad was a carrier bearing in the differential was toast? Does that now make it worth the trip? Oh, wait...he already pulled it apart so warranty is void on that axle!
Got to consider all the angles not just the seal, but why did the seal fail and hopefully he has no issues getting it working correctly. If a person wants to save money doing the work himself, that is fine, but be prepared for the possibility that it could be something more than a seal, and if you tear into it, your going to have to fix it yourself.
David from jax

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #45  
And what would happen if he got in there and found the reason for the seal being bad was a carrier bearing in the differential was toast? Does that now make it worth the trip? Oh, wait...he already pulled it apart so warranty is void on that axle!
Got to consider all the angles not just the seal, but why did the seal fail and hopefully he has no issues getting it working correctly. If a person wants to save money doing the work himself, that is fine, but be prepared for the possibility that it could be something more than a seal, and if you tear into it, your going to have to fix it yourself.
David from jax

You aren't going to be anywhere near the carrier bearing to simply replace an outer axle seal. This is not much more difficult than fixing a flat tire.

Of course there is always the chance of a repair being more involved. A bearing that has failed so badly as to causes a seal to leak will also be causing the shaft to be obviouly loose and noisy. An axle leak is usually a just a rubber seal. Now if replacing the seal doesn't fix the problem, THAT would be a reason to look for a skilled mechanic.

Just for completeness, suppose it is something mechanically involved, wouldn't you want to be the person who attended to fixing it properly? Wouldn't that be better than putting it intoi the hands oif some unknown mechanic hours away?

BTW, like Hay Dude I also buy extended warranties and use them. But that's a case of using local mechanics that I know and trust. Frankly, the NH dealer sounds like your second best choice if you just don't want to do it yourself or with a mechanical buddy.

An unknown dealer a day away is much less appealing. Especially if you want to make it a warranty job for his shop.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #46  
David from jax

I hate long distance trips and fuel isn’t cheap. I’d rather spend a grand fixing it which is a pretty unlikely outcome vs make that trip. If other posters are correct his warranty is expired on the axel anyway.

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #47  
It may not be as easy as popping off the tire and replacing the seal. Looks like you have to dismantle the steering knuckle to replace the oil seal.

Front axle
1672399915890.png

Steering knuckle. #9 is the oil seal.

1672399954710.png

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #48  
I can usually string any job out for a half an hour or longer - and often do so just for the enjoyment.
It takes me that long just to get the tools to whereever the tractor is parked.

This entire thread seems to be much ado about nothing, hopefully the OP can get the seal fixed easily and head back on the trail again.

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #49  
It takes me that long just to get the tools to whereever the tractor is parked.

This entire thread seems to be much ado about nothing, hopefully the OP can get the seal fixed easily and head back on the trail again.
Sure it is. Much ado about tractor brands is always fun.

Seems to me that the OP just wanted to basically say how much he liked his tractor and blow off steam about a SIX YEAR !! warranty - which is nice to have just for bragging rights or hanging on the wall..... even if it doesn't actually help to fix that tiny no-account leak.

BTW, there are several seals there. It helps to be replacing the one that is leaking.
Just saying....
rScotty

/ Finally Need My Warranty and LS Is Not There! BEWARE! #50  
This is why after looking at EVERY brand, I narrowed it down to NH or JD because dealers are everywhere. Nobody wants to haul a tractor on a 4 hour one way trip so effectively the other brands really don't have a warranty, even if they do on paper.