Finally replaced old truck

/ Finally replaced old truck #41  
I only get around 18.5 at 80MPH. I have had my mileage up to 19.8 driving 70-75mph. I mostly average low 19's with a 5.0 F-150. My neighbor had a Ecoboost lariat supercab and he was getting lows 18's with it. For some reason he traded it on a STX supercab with a 5.0 and he is getting around 19 now.

I honestly think the 5.0 is right with the Eco when it comes to mileage. The only advantage to the Eco is when towing, then it shines.

Chris

/ Finally replaced old truck #42  
My uncle has a 2013 4x4 Limited with 3.55 gears and according to his dash his average is 21 mpg. His has 20" wheels and almost 40,000 miles to date.

Chris

21 mpg over lifetime (40,000 miles)? A coworker has the 3.55 4x4 lariat and is getting almost exactly what I am. Are you going into engineering mode to grab lifetime values?

/ Finally replaced old truck #43  
I honestly think the 5.0 is right with the Eco when it comes to mileage. The only advantage to the Eco is when towing, then it shines.

Chris

I don't doubt the ecoboost does not tow good but I would like to see a real world comparison between it and the 5.0. All the test are done under full throttle. Who tows constantly under full throttle. I would be nice if someone did a test from a 55MPH roll going up a hill and see how well they maintained their speed.

/ Finally replaced old truck #44  
21 mpg over lifetime (40,000 miles)? A coworker has the 3.55 4x4 lariat and is getting almost exactly what I am. Are you going into engineering mode to grab lifetime values?

Not following you?

Chris

/ Finally replaced old truck #45  
Neighbors getting a ave of 16.5 with his 2012 EB.

/ Finally replaced old truck #46  
Yep, I average 2*.* mpg going down hill, with the wind, 3 feet behind a semi, and holding my breath. I hear it all the time at the restaurant in the morning.

/ Finally replaced old truck #47  
Not following you?

Chris

Is your uncles 21 mpg over the life of the truck? You can see the lifetime average by going into engineering mode by holding down the "ok" button on the steering wheel for a few seconds before starting the truck. You then cycle through various points using the Ok button until you see the screen I posted.

Here is a picture of mine. Mine is 15.6 mpg since new and I have about 34,000 miles. It will be interesting to see if yours is greater. Obviously everyone uses their truck differently. Mine truck spends most of its life in town and I tow frequently.

ForumRunner_20140709_093918.png

Last edited:
   / Finally replaced old truck #48  
Thanks for the info jjborne!

/ Finally replaced old truck #49  
Is your uncles 21 mpg over the life of the truck? You can see the lifetime average by going into engineering mode by holding down the "ok" button on the steering wheel for a few seconds before starting the truck. You then cycle through various points using the Ok button until you see the screen I posted.

Here is a picture of mine. Mine is 15.6 mpg since new and I have about 34,000 miles. It will be interesting to see if yours is greater. Obviously everyone uses their truck differently. Mine truck spends most of its life in town and I tow frequently.

View attachment 382191

jjborne, it may not be the lifetime ave mpg like you say. From what I read, the RAFE is the running average fuel economy. It is the last 500 mile average that the computer uses to figure the miles to empty.

"Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy,
which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km).
This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The
running average fuel economy is re-initialized to a factory default value if
the battery is disconnected."

/ Finally replaced old truck #50  
jjborne, it may not be the lifetime ave mpg like you say. From what I read, the RAFE is the running average fuel economy. It is the last 500 mile average that the computer uses to figure the miles to empty.

"Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy,
which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km).
This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The
running average fuel economy is re-initialized to a factory default value if
the battery is disconnected."

I believe you are correct. I haven't researched this in a long while. Back a couple years ago when I learned of these screens, the buzz was that this was the lifetime average. I guess the last couple years have educated most that this isn't true. Thanks for the heads up.