First project w Router and other woodworking tools

/ First project w Router and other woodworking tools
Thank you very much LS, egon, Sranch, DAVE & civilian...really appreciate it.

Based on almost 3 decades of working, building and maintaining a 100 acre ranch, house, 11 utility bldgs & sheds and 19 combustion-based engines [including my 1996 Kubota M5400S], I have learned a view things, even some woodworking. But, the woodworking has all been on a macro level, not super detailed finishing work as what I want to do now. But, I have always consulted w the"old-timers" out there b4 I work on major projects. They like to pass on their knowledge and they always keep long term maintenance in mind, so I know that experience counts...but, each yr I need less for ranch type projects bc of my own experience.

Now, for beginning with micro w-working, that's where you guys come in....know I have to ante-up and start learning, and by some mistakes. But, I know to use the same wisdom of those that have done decades of w-working, but it's over time we learn and figure what tools we really need and what techniques we employ. And I'm deeply appreciative of your kindness w your time and experience. I have my router and some wood here in Hou and will start practicing today.

Now, I’m going out to the ranch this coming Tues. I’ll take pics of the wood I just cut and use a sq to test edges. I’ll also take pics of the 2 pieces of wood I’m going to use to make the coffee table. If there’s any particular angle or shot you need, pls let me know?

Again, thank you all, tstex

Guys,

As I have watched more and more video's, reading articles, I am convinced [as you have all stated] that I will need a router [plunge] and router table.

Can you pls tell me for someone that has never used a router before, are these two options a good introduction to routing? If not, pls recommend something else. I sill have my 18V 1/4" cordless too. They both include a Bosch router, plunge option and router table, but the first link also has a router guide kit too. thank you very much !

Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with Benchtop Router Table and Deluxe Router Edge Guide - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com

/ First project w Router and other woodworking tools #13  
   / First project w Router and other woodworking tools #14  
Can't go wrong with the Bosch. As previously noted, if you do this a lot, you will get tired of swapping out the router and will want multiples. But this gets you going solidly. Swapping between the 2 bases will be fast but the table will take more time to get it in and out.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / First project w Router and other woodworking tools #15  
Have several routers, the 3 Hp router is best used with a table & lift kit. None of the big box stores tables on display seemed very sturdy to me. Kreg (the pocket jig company) sells a $10 dvd with plans (using pocket screws, of course) to build a plywood table. Used cedar on my drawer fronts.
20140523_155403.jpg

/ First project w Router and other woodworking tools #16  
Guys,

As I have watched more and more video's, reading articles, I am convinced [as you have all stated] that I will need a router [plunge] and router table.

Can you pls tell me for someone that has never used a router before, are these two options a good introduction to routing? If not, pls recommend something else. I sill have my 18V 1/4" cordless too. They both include a Bosch router, plunge option and router table, but the first link also has a router guide kit too. thank you very much !

Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with Benchtop Router Table and Deluxe Router Edge Guide - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com
I bought this model of Bosch router recently and was very disappointed with it. I do some pattern routing and found that with the template collars that they were impossible to center. Not sure if the router was manufactured incorrectly or not. Returned it and got a Metabo for about the same price, it came with a set of pattern collars and the tool to center them.
I was doubly disappointed in the Bosch in that I have a number of Bosch tools and have always been very pleased with them.

/ First project w Router and other woodworking tools #17  
A router is much like a tractor, not much use without bits and attachments. They can soon add up to more than you paid for the router!🤑

Ok, as promised, here are the pics of the 2 pieces of wood. Note that my JD Gator has a lot of irregularities, so it’s not the wood.

These are 2 mirror center cuts and the inside is perfectly straight per level. The outsides are live edges but I’m sq’ing them w interior.

I am going to plane them both to 2.5” from 2.70”. This will also give a very beautiful new face for the polyurethane.

Any insight per our original discussion is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much
tstex

Attachments

• 91A11788-0998-42B2-AC5C-092BD7CB3F03.jpeg
    91A11788-0998-42B2-AC5C-092BD7CB3F03.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
  • C914C5C2-1B25-4AE4-A3BC-42383C7BBCCB.jpeg
    C914C5C2-1B25-4AE4-A3BC-42383C7BBCCB.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 64
   / First project w Router and other woodworking tools #19  
That's going to be a real nice table top for sure!