First tractor - wet ground... ?

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #31  
Just tons of rain. Snow was melted a couple months ago (and grand rapids / muskegon area got way less snow than usual this winter). 6-8" in the last week for many areas. Lots of areas of southern Michigan are under water today.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ?
DEEZLER - THANK YOU for your excellent description of my situation. Much better than I was able to. Looks like I'm going to have to expand my search from a L2501. Must fit in garage...

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #33  
Ruger I have a similar situation. On the Great Miami River in the western part of Ohio. It seems the flooding gets worse each year. Now with all the dead ash trees many are fallen and get caught against other standing trees and cause log jams or push them over. Dries out slower now. Often August and dry spells before I can get in to try to move some of the debris out of my paths.
I think it will be a very difficult situation for you also. Never really found a good solution with chain saws or front end loaders. Really always too wet to even ask a dozer to come in, afraid they would be stuck too. I think I have to live with what I have. Hoping you can do better. I will follow your thread.
Just to give you some idea of the tractors I have used down there, Yanmar 336 (33HP), a NH 40 HP, and a Mahindra 4510 (45 HP). All have 4 wheel drive and loaders. Each one has gotten stuck (even in the driest months) one time or another and I needed the other tractors to pull then free. Sometimes mud or soft ground not seen in the high vegetation, one time high centered on a hidden fallen log. Good luck with your project, wish I could give you some good advice but could use some myself.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #34  
Looks like I'm going to have to expand my search from a L2501. Must fit in garage...

An MX series open-station tractor will pass under an 84" garage door header with the ROPS folded.

SW Michigan has had the wettest Springs on record five years in a row. Hopefully this just a blip and not an every year occurrence....

I have lived in this state most of my life and never really realized until recently how damp it is. Especially west Michigan. In attempt to stay positive, we don't have to worry about a LACK of water like many states..

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #37  
It's a shame that YANMAR has stopped importing the T80 tracked tractor that might have been just the machine for your area;
Yanmar T8 Track Tractors Price, Specs & Features
You could possibly find a used one, do some creative shopping and import;
Yanmar-T80-Tractor.jpg

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #38  
You're only dealing with 7-10 acres of land I think an L2501 will do everything you need. It does everything I need from towing logs, grapple, shifting mounds of dirt or stone, mowing pastures each Fall, scraping the gravel driveway and unfortunately the dirt/gravel road I live on that the state doesn't have time to. I can get into some fairly steep places here so I added 2" Bromar wheel spacers which puts the tires out a bit over 60" IIRC so it's quite stable. Fits under a standard garage door too.

You're only dealing with 7-10 acres of land I think an L2501 will do everything you need. It does everything I need from towing logs, grapple, shifting mounds of dirt or stone, mowing pastures each Fall, scraping the gravel driveway and unfortunately the dirt/gravel road I live on that the state doesn't have time to. I can get into some fairly steep places here so I added 2" Bromar wheel spacers which puts the tires out a bit over 60" IIRC so it's quite stable. Fits under a standard garage door too.

Do you have HST or gear?

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #40  
HST is ordered on 90% of tractors <3,000 pounds bare tractor weight.

Few today can operate a traditional clutch and gear transmission. Traditional clutch and gear clutch rebuilds are $1,200 at dealer.

Resale on a traditional clutch and gear tractor is terrible.

HST's characteristic of infinite speed variation is useful in many situations, starting with mounting implements on TPH.

HST's characteristic of max torque at beginning of pulls pairs well with light tractor / low horsepower tractor ground engagement applications.

Geared tractors are slightly more efficient than pump transmission tractors transmitting engine output to wheels.

It is almost unheard of for a tractor <3,000 pounds to have an FEL and a clutch and gear transmission.

Last edited: