Buying Advice First Tractor

/ First Tractor #31  
if you were to buy all of that, as new - you would certainly blow your budget by double or more. (I needed New, for the features and for Operator ease-of-use, otherwise something used would have gotten me into a tractor years earlier.)

so, in my opinion get what you need for right now, first - tractor, loader. Then buy the other implements over time, as you come across them. Get a large enough tractor for your needs ... probably 35+ HP.

woodchipper - if PTO driven, bigger is better (25 HP tractors have limited options for the chippers) - I have a small tractor (Kubota BX23S) which is perfect for my needs. But now that I am looking for a wood chipper, I have all but ruled out the available PTO ones on something that is that limited. I want a chipper that can manage 3-5 inch pieces. The self powered chippers are better suited for me, PLUS the tractor is not then already committed for just that purpose.

You will always find something extra for the tractor to do, as you consider the tasks, so keep future goals in mind :)

enjoy the hunt, ... you'll pick a colour at some point

/ First Tractor #32  
I am in the burn and save the money you'd spend on a chipper camp.

/ First Tractor #33  
I bought a new 2017 Massey Ferguson 25 hp with FEL, Backhoe, 4x4, hydro hitch for $17500. you can find them without backhoe for around 12 to 14k
works great have 400 hr on it no issue look around on web for deals

/ First Tractor #34  
I am in the burn and save the money you'd spend on a chipper camp.

That would be great.

I am NOT in the burn and save money camp, for the following reason ... where I live (interior BC) we Typically have burn restrictions for 5-7 months, ... and about 4-5 months of winter with 2 feet of snow.

The "burning window" is therefore, very short ... half of March, and perhaps October - November.

I'm saving for a decent WALLENSTEIN chipper, so that I can put the chips in the chicken run, or paths etc.

/ First Tractor #35  
Bought a MF 245 2wd diesel for $850. Needed to major repair the engine and overhaul the hydraulic pump. At the time had between 3-4 thousand in it. Runs like a new tractor but looks like an old tractor. Year ago found a loader to fit for $2500. Yes needs the filled 55 gallon drum on the back for loader work. At this point and time believe I could sell it for a small profit, If I wanted to. But it is my keeper!
As suggested you might shop or even window shop at a few of these websites.
even may find a deal on craigslist or facebook marketplace, or even local classified ads.

My preference is MF as that is the dealer I worked for and learned them inside and out. but you have to know what you are comfortable with and don't forget the wife my have to approve the color!!

/ First Tractor #36  
That would be great.

I am NOT in the burn and save money camp, for the following reason ... where I live (interior BC) we Typically have burn restrictions for 5-7 months, ... and about 4-5 months of winter with 2 feet of snow.

The "burning window" is therefore, very short ... half of March, and perhaps October - November.

I'm saving for a decent WALLENSTEIN chipper, so that I can put the chips in the chicken run, or paths etc.
I'm also with you. Yes burning is "free", but it certainly still requires labor and often more time tending/stirring than just chipping and being done with it. I have limited time to get work done and I'm not waiting around for a good day to burn.

I have a woodmaxx Wm8m that I've run on both a new holland 1620 (28hp) and now a Massey 1740m (40hp). It's an amazing chipper and I 110% recommend it. However, running it with a 40hp tractor is completely different and I could never go back haha.

So I strongly recommend a 35-45hp tractor if you plan on chipping 3-5" material regularly. I also strongly recommend a power infeed chipper vs a gravity like the smaller wallensteins. It is sooooo much nicer to let it grab a branch and walk away.

/ First Tractor #37  
I'm also with you. Yes burning is "free", but it certainly still requires labor and often more time tending/stirring than just chipping and being done with it. I have limited time to get work done and I'm not waiting around for a good day to burn.

I have a woodmaxx Wm8m that I've run on both a new holland 1620 (28hp) and now a Massey 1740m (40hp). It's an amazing chipper and I 110% recommend it. However, running it with a 40hp tractor is completely different and I could never go back haha.

So I strongly recommend a 35-45hp tractor if you plan on chipping 3-5" material regularly. I also strongly recommend a power infeed chipper vs a gravity like the smaller wallensteins. It is sooooo much nicer to let it grab a branch and walk away.

all good points, and I overlooked the Good days, Bad days (wind etc) in my limited window. Thank you. I considered woodmaxx also, but I think the Canadian Mennonites are winning me over (Wallenstein) :)

/ First Tractor #38  
Start by buying a good tractor, you can always add implements over time. I don't consider a loader an extra, get a tractor with a loader or you will be kicking yourself very soon after you don't. If you are worried about parts and implements, buy an orange, red, green or blue tractor. In other words stick with major brands that have dealers near you and support systems, especially if you are not mechanically inclined or just don't want to spend all your time searching the internet for out of production parts and equipment.

For $7k-10K you are going to be able to find a good 20 year old used tractor with a loader in the 20 to 30 hp range. The same $$ will get you a 20 year old used tractor in the 40 50 hp range without a loader. or a 30-40 year old with a loader. Here are a couple of good websites besides this one where you can do some research. Good Luck!

p.s. Also as a newbie, do all the research you can, read and search here and on the internet before you ask a string of easily answered questions. Everyone here is going to help you, but we expect you to do the homework too. Look it up, if you don't understand something then come here and ask for clarification and explanations. There are a ton of tractor geniuses here that are waiting to help. Also let us know what you end up with. Many of us answer question for people looking for advice and help and they never follow up with a post on how things ended up. We love when you tell us how it all worked out!

Welcome to the party!

/ First Tractor #39  
It's easy to get lost in all of the recommendations and experienced opinions on a topic like this. You are probably realizing that a 10k budget will not go very far with the tractor, and certainly not with the implements.
My input would be to get out there shopping used and new. Sit on some machines. Talk to some owners, take what sellers may say with a grain of salt.
The comments on getting the tractor with a loader are spot on. Same with adding implements over time.

/ First Tractor #40  
If I wanted a chipper I would purchase one of these
ROLLER Weldment for WC-8 Wood Chippers
SOLD BY SANKING 0 / 5

TPIN: CW8PJQHJ2Condition: New
Price:
$150.00
and fab the rest.

willy

Attachments

• 1654396992195.png
    1654396992195.png