Fittings backing off... suggestions

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
I have two -16 JIC fittings on a machine that are constantly backing off due to vibration and hydraulic pulsing. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to lock these down? I've looked at jigs to drill the fittings for safety wire, but the ones I've found only go up to -12. Loctite makes a thread locker just for this, but everything has to be clean and dry to apply it which never happens, particularly under field repair conditions.

What do you say...

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #2  
Are you looking for something pretty permanent? Is it open enough to maybe cut a piece of flat stock the size of your fitting and then bolt it to whatever the fitting is on? Like a makeshift wrench that gets bolted in place.

You shouldn't need a jig to drill a hole in the fitting for safety wire, you may go through a few bits but we safety wire our bikes all the way and never needed a jig for anything.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions
No unfortunately, it has to come apart on a regular basis. I have a few fittings I can practice free hand drilling I guess. Do you start with a dimple, or maybe a flycut with a dremel?

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #4  
I can't picture any place on a JIC fitting that you could drill with out causing either screwed up threads or a hydraulic leak - got any pix of this?... Steve

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #5  
Can you put a quick connect in there. Vibration should not mess up a quick connect.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #6  
You could try some Flaretites on them: Flaretite Seals - Clip the Drip!
They are meant more for leak prevention but may help increase the friction and prevent loosening, not to expensive either. There are other styles usually called "flare savers" if you want tor search.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #7  
You can buy fitting that well swivel under pressure.

I can't picture any place on a JIC fitting that you could drill with out causing either screwed up threads or a hydraulic leak - got any pix of this?... Steve

It would look very much like this, although this is an AN fitting. Note the safety wire has not been installed on the Female fitting yet, but you can see the hole for the wire.

knocknoise152.JPG

Can you put a quick connect in there. Vibration should not mess up a quick connect.

The hose is under allot of flex stress, and it is a big hose. I don't think a quick disconnect is meant for that type of load.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #10  
Are you tightening them to a specified torque? if not I would check the repair manual or ask a knowledgeable mechanic... just a suggestion...

Good Luck...