Flail Mower Flail Mower Height Adjustment

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #1  

kruszert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I recently bought a Bush Hog flail mower - - an older model. It's in great shape but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the mowing height. I bought a parts manual off ebay and have learned that this model had wheels mounted on a steel tube on the back. It has the steel tube running across the back but no wheels. Caroni flail mowers have skids mounted on the side. I could make and attach similar skids or make wheels for the mower similar to what it came with. Question is whick one works better? Do the skids leave ruts or cause problems? I do want to be able to adjust the height - - it cuts too close the way it is set up now.

Reggie

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #2  
I don't have one, however I am sure you could do either.

I can see reason for tires as they would not be as likely to cause ruts or even cuts when turning, however I can see how skids might do better with hills or sharp contours that wheels may not pick up until after the flail has gone over it.

I personally like the idea of a roller setup that attaches behind the mower, not only would it be adjustable, but it would also allow to assist with any contour adjustment that the lawn needed. It would be similar to tires only the roller is usually closer to the unit than tires would be.

Got pics? if so post them, if not take some before and after. Project pics are the best.

Good Luck!

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #3  
Flail mower cut height is most easily set by adjusting the height of the long rear roller and then using the 3pt lower arms to level the mower. I don't know the Bush Hog model and how it is set up but that is how the Caroni flail cut height is set. The skids are really more for protection than cut height and they are not even necessary.

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #4  
IslandTractor said:
The skids are really more for protection

Do explain, my first thought would be to protect the flail mower, my second would be to protect from flying objects, which flail mowers are not really known for....

Thanks.

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #5  
Cyberroc said:
Do explain, my first thought would be to protect the flail mower, my second would be to protect from flying objects, which flail mowers are not really known for....

Thanks.

To protect the mower from digging into the ground on bumps/hills. With the roller in the back, the front end can bottom out, so the skids are meant to be the lowest point of the mower to prevent the knives from grounding out. A set of gauge wheels out front would also do the job, but skids are simple and cheap.

-John

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment #6  
Pardon the dirty picture :) but those skids almost never touch the ground, just the roller. The roller is adjustable via the bolt holes, which controls cutting height. You will also want to raise the front of the mower slightly higher than the rear via the top link.

Attachments

• DSCN0520.jpg
    DSCN0520.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,179
   / Flail Mower Height Adjustment #7  
John861 said:
To protect the mower from digging into the ground on bumps/hills.

Thanks, that was along my origional thought...

/ Flail Mower Height Adjustment
Sorry for the late reply - - having internet/computer problems.

Thanks for the info and picture. I looked at my mower in more detail and the roller is adjustable with three holes in the frame - - doesn't seem like much adjustment. The lower arms that connect to the three point hitch also were adjustable but somebody welded them in a fixed position for a lower cutting angle. Looks like I have some grinding to do but should be able to raise the mower between the roller adjustment and the bars. I now have no idea why it came with wheels on the rear bar. Maybe to raise the mower way up?

Reggie