Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool

/ Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #61  
I could never get my grapple or tree puller on and resorted to cracking lines open and drove me crazy. One day I spoke with the tech at my local dealership, he said to turn the key to "Run/On" but don't start the tractor. This allows the electronically controlled 3rd function to operate and release the pressure in the attachment BEFORE I unhook WITHOUT the tractor putting more pressure on the line since it isn't running. Since I've been doing that, I have not had to do anything other than push the connections together no matter how hot it is outside or how long it sits.

/ Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #62  
A newer thread: Why are hoses hard to connect???

This is what I use:
20220309_095838.jpg
20220426_152104.jpg

And for coupling the hoses together when stored:
20220307_145453.jpg
20220307_145617.jpg

Last edited:
   / Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #63  
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when a brass punch and a hammer works just as well.

/ Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #64  
The Monster Grapple has right angle flat face connectors that are difficult to push together after I remove the grapple for storage.

So I bought a heavy duty Quick-Grip to leave in the V417:

irwin hd.JPG

Lined up straight:
P7220005.JPG

Squeezed together:
P7220003.JPG

Easier and cleaner than a brass punch and a hammer.

/ Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #65  
I could never get my grapple or tree puller on and resorted to cracking lines open and drove me crazy. One day I spoke with the tech at my local dealership, he said to turn the key to "Run/On" but don't start the tractor. This allows the electronically controlled 3rd function to operate and release the pressure in the attachment BEFORE I unhook WITHOUT the tractor putting more pressure on the line since it isn't running. Since I've been doing that, I have not had to do anything other than push the connections together no matter how hot it is outside or how long it sits.
Trying to picture this. So electronics on, uncouple, engine on, move to grapple storage, detach grapple. With no 3rd function hydraulics, do you position the grapple maw by hand before setting it down?

/ Flat face hyd. coupling "pressure release" tool #66  
Trying to picture this. So electronics on, uncouple, engine on, move to grapple storage, detach grapple. With no 3rd function hydraulics, do you position the grapple maw by hand before setting it down?
When the tractor isn't running but you open the 3rd function, all lines are connected to the tank with no pressure. Basically the same as putting the loader in float. With no pressure in the lines, you disconnect & the lines stay with no pressure in them. At least until the sun heats them up & the fluid expands.

Doing the reverse aids in hooking up. Engine off, activate 3rd function to depressurize the lines. Much easier to hookup than with some pressure in the lines.

If the engine is running, the lines will be pressurized, so the engine needs to be off.

If the grapple is open at all the weight of the arms will cause pressure in the lines. So it needs to be closed, or at least propped up so it can't move when there is no more pressure in the lines.

Personally I have a post hole digger, not a grapple. So both sides of lines to the hydraulic motor pressurize equally. If I can manage to get one of the QDs connected the 2nd one is easy to connect. Not always the case if you are hooking up a cylinder as one side can stay pressurized.