Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what?

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Recently I had a flat tire on the rear of my tractor and didn't realize it until it was broke of the rim. What a mess trying to air it up. I found a remedy that. Seems pretty effective. I used the loader on my big tractor to raise the little tractor on two wheels. (A Jack will work to raise the flat tire off the ground) Next I took some dish soap (say dawn or ajax) and squirted the soap around the rim and tire bead. Then I took a couple pieces of chain and rapped them around the center circumference of the tire. Using two chain tighteners/boomers I drew the chains around the tire down as tighat as I could. Making sure I had at least 100 psi in my air compressor I began airing up the flat tire. As I was airing the tire up and it was wanting to air up yet still leak, I began to strike the tire with a 2 pound ball peen hammer. The tire began to seal and air up. The just release and remove the chain and tighteners, lower the tractor and you good to go. Seems like.a pretty effective method to me.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #2  
Recently I had a flat tire on the rear of my tractor and didn't realize it until it was broke of the rim. What a mess trying to air it up. I found a remedy that. Seems pretty effective. I used the loader on my big tractor to raise the little tractor on two wheels. (A Jack will work to raise the flat tire off the ground) Next I took some dish soap (say dawn or ajax) and squirted the soap around the rim and tire bead. Then I took a couple pieces of chain and rapped them around the center circumference of the tire. Using two chain tighteners/boomers I drew the chains around the tire down as tighat as I could. Making sure I had at least 100 psi in my air compressor I began airing up the flat tire. As I was airing the tire up and it was wanting to air up yet still leak, I began to strike the tire with a 2 pound ball peen hammer. The tire began to seal and air up. The just release and remove the chain and tighteners, lower the tractor and you good to go. Seems like.a pretty effective method to me.

If it works, It is good. Ken Sweet

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #4  
Have never tried wd-40 I have used ether, it seems more exciting than it is. I have also used ratchet straps in the same way the OP used the chains n boomers.

Last edited:
   / Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #5  
I made a bead cheeta type tank, but there are some places that now sell a inflator tank for a price that makes making one obsolete, IMO Amazon.com: bead seater

Had used it to inflate a 18 x34 tractor rears, and many other sizes,

use a air chuck with out the internal shut off, (i painted mine orange to distinguish it from a regular chuck) remove the valve core, start the air, use the bead inflator (blowing the air in the edge of the tire and rim, it may take a few tries but will work, as said keep the tire centered on the rim,

using chains and ratchet straps can be dangerous, it only take's a few pounds of air pressure to put an extreme strain on the chain/straps if they break it could be fatal,

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what?
I struggle to see the potentially fatal mishap with a chain or strap. It would have to be a freak accident. I use the same chains and boomers to tie 10 ton load down for transport. The same chain I've used to pull pick ups and tractors out of the mud. If using a strap, it is nylon. If it broke, I got see the fatal connection. Before the invention of the bead blaster a nylon/rubber strap type thing was used say about 40 years ago. Now, you want to talk dangerous, that is the old split-rim truck tires. I had one blow apart on me about 30 years ago and it left my arm in a cast for about 9 weeks. After that mishap I started chaining the split run tires to a light pole and using a clip-on air chuck. Split rims were dangerous with numerous fatal accidents and Have since been outlawed in many places.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #7  
Wish I would have thought about the old ether trick when the guy was putting the rear tire on my backhoe. He tried for a couple of hours to get it to seat and gave up and put a tube in. The next day it was flat and he returned to find the new tube torn at the valve stem. He didn't have another tube with him and worked another 3 hours until he got it to seat tubeless. He had a giant size air tank bead seater and it would blow him off his feet every time he discharged it. He eventually packed about 2 gallons of bead grease in the void and blew grease all over my ground and himself but it finally seated. He didn't charge me for the return trip so I let him slide on the tube I paid for and didn't end up getting. They were pretty darn reasonable on the initial tire and install to begin with.

I have used the old strap around the tire method for years with mixed results.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #8  
Don't recommend it, but I use starting fluid. Now that I am comfortable with this approach, you won't find me messing around with straps and whatever else.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #9  
Ditto on the ether....

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #10