Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what?

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #11  
Don't recommend it, but I use starting fluid. Now that I am comfortable with this approach, you won't find me messing around with straps and whatever else.

Of course, you gotta get some real air into it ASAP, as the hot stuff will start to condense, and possibly even let the bead pop off.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #12  
The last tires I did this on were some super singles. I don't recall how quick I aired them up. But if they had come back off, well just more fun! You gotta make sure the beads and tire mating surface are clean, and I'm sure it's much safer if the rims are mounted. Then of course a long stick with a fire on the end. I keep starting fluid on hand for only this emergency.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #13  
Now, anybody got any tricks to get the one side of a little riding mower front tire back ON the rim? Got the beads loose OK, pried one side off the rim ok with some lube, got the new tube in ok, now cannot get the bead back over the rim to save my life. Weird little fat tire and tiny rim!

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #14  
Now, anybody got any tricks to get the one side of a little riding mower front tire back ON the rim? Got the beads loose OK, pried one side off the rim ok with some lube, got the new tube in ok, now cannot get the bead back over the rim to save my life. Weird little fat tire and tiny rim!

YouTube is your friend!

How to Mount a Small Tire on Wheel - YouTube

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #15  
CRISCO is the answer! I encountered the usual problems in trying to seat the beads on a tubeless 14.9-24 tractor tire. Ineffective squeeze from cargo straps around the circumference, inadequate large volume air supply, cold temperature that made the rubber less flexible, ineffective rubber lubricants and canola oil, front end loader push down on upright tire, etc. - all failed. I noted that there were short lengths on both sides of the tire where air was escaping and was about to try filling with water as a last resort when I thought about using some sort of paste to put in the cracks along the beads to temporarily seal the air gaps and let the low volume air application push the tire sidewalls against the bead. I needed a paste-like substance that was not sticky but slick and would not harm the rubber like grease - an all-vegetable shortening like ... Crisco! I pushed the white shortening in the air gaps along the bead with a popsicle stick and then started applying the low volume air. The low air pressure on the sidewalls inside the the tire was enough to seal the gaps without blowing out the Crisco and the beads slowly moved until - pop! After working for hours with the other methods, this vegetable shortening lubricant/sealant technique worked in minutes on the first try. Eureka! - I could hardly believe it. Two ounces of shortening from a 48 ounce can (Aldi’s brand Carlini <$3). Lesson learned - next?

Last edited:
   / Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #16  
fluttersmith, I'm going to remember that one! We've got a half dozen tractor tires to change this year (hopefully) and that trick sounds like it will be just the ticket. :thumbsup:

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what?
fluttersmith, I'm going to remember that one! We've got a half dozen tractor tires to change this year (hopefully) and that trick sounds like it will be just the ticket.
Yeah, I think I'm going have to add this Crisco thing to my bag of tricks also.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #18  
Google 'tire mounting paste'. I sometimes use thick laundry soap plus a little heat to warm the bead area. Then I bounce the tire/wheel assembly to produce a pressure pulse that forces the bead onto the bead seat. Very large air volume, Schraeder valve removed and some crossed fingers also works. If I can't get the beads close to the rim, the starting fluid or choke cleaner will do the job, I don't want to blow out the tire sidewall.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #19  
One thing I have used when mounting tires on wide rims (when I had the time to wait) was to cut some pieces of wood (I used 1" x 2") a couple of inches longer than the width of the rim and use 3 or 4 of them to spread the tire beads apart. Leave them like this for a couple days or so and they retain the spread width when you mount them and they air up as nice as you could wish.

/ Flat tire? Bead off the rim? Now what? #20  
I’ve used ratchet straps and either. Both work good enough. Just keep a blow gun on the air compressor to blow out the fire if you use either. You could probably avoid the fire you used a long stick to light if. I usually just squirt a trail of either.