Flightradar24 Interesting Finds

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #61  
When I was a kid in the 60s they had B58 Hustlers stationed at Bunker Hill AFB (now Grissom) in Bunker Hill, IN. They also had an air refueling wing. On US 31, which was just a 2-lane back then, they had caution low flying airplane signs, as the end of the runway was very near the highway. Once, on our way to Cincinnati, we saw a yellow VW beetle that had been crushed by a plane sitting on the side of the road. Yikes! :oops:

The Hustlers were imposing looking planes sitting there in their quonset hangars.

Here's the story of one, the Cowtown Hustler that won the Bendix Trophy setting record from LA to NYC, then back to LA. I used to work with the navigator's son. The plane is at the museum in Dayton. Beautiful machine!

"Reportedly, the U.S. Air Force received more than 10,000 damage claims for windows that were broken by the sonic booms created by the two B-58 Hustlers as they flew across the country."

I was probably asleep about 8 miles away when the plane left Carswell AFB to head for LA. B-58's were a common sight then.

Bruce

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #62  
I would have loved to have seen a B58, flying or not, since it is one of the coolest looking bombers ever flown.
When I went to Purdue Avionics school, we took a field trip to Bunker Hill, as one of our instructors was ex-Air Force and could pull some strings. Part of the tour was a hangar where they had a Hustler undergoing maintenance. They let each one of us climb the access platform and set in the rear, radar operators seat while closely supervised, and admonished DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING. Was about the coolest hing I ever did.

Dad used to make trips to Indy to get heavy equipment parts, he would take me along sometimes, and he would go down the road that ran west off US31 on the south side of the runway to an area right at the end, about 500 feet from the runway. Got to see Hustlers, B47s and some others, landing and taking off.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
When I went to Purdue Avionics school, we took a field trip to Bunker Hill, as one of our instructors was ex-Air Force and could pull some strings. Part of the tour was a hangar where they had a Hustler undergoing maintenance. They let each one of us climb the access platform and set in the rear, radar operators seat while closely supervised, and admonished DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING. Was about the coolest hing I ever did.

Dad used to make trips to Indy to get heavy equipment parts, he would take me along sometimes, and he would go down the road that ran west off US31 on the south side of the runway to an area right at the end, about 500 feet from the runway. Got to see Hustlers, B47s and some others, landing and taking off.
Remember all the bunkers at Bunker Hill on the south side of the field? Man, that was something. Now there's a shooting range and I think the prison is a bit further south of where the bunkers were.

I specifically remember driving on 31 and looking into the hangars at the hustlers.

The pads where the hangars were are still there.

045027AF-8AB0-4848-BD05-2C6010E2C85A.jpeg

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #67  
Airbus flying at 55 mph at 66,000 feet. :)

airbus-66000ft.jpg

Bruce

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #69  
The “Hustler” brand mowers were named after the B-58 Hustler.
What an amazing aircraft.
Memories of a time before I was born when we led the world in the 60’s.
The space race, landing on the moon.

The “Hustler” brand mowers were named after the B-58 Hustler.
What an amazing aircraft.
Memories of a time before I was born when we led the world in the 60’s.
The space race, landing on the moon.
You ever go to the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton?
Something like 200 planes indoors.
AND IT’S FREE!
There’s an excellent example of a Hustler there.

Cowtown Hustler

I used to work with the Navigator’s son on occasion.