Flush Hydraulic system ?

/ Flush Hydraulic system ? #1  

Lyons1

Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D Grey Market
I bought a Viet Nam Yanmar 2210D rebuild. Checking the transmission I found some water in the fluid. White contamination. I drained the Trans and the Hydraulic unit. Pulled the screen filter and cleaned it. There was not a ton of water contamination but at least I would estimate a pint of so. Top of the oil was still pretty clear bottom dregs white. Anyway, I would like to flush the trans to get what ever moisture and scum is clinging to the case walls. Not sure what I can put in there to clean it out. Gasoline? Methanol? MEK, Toluene. I was just going to fill it and drain it again not operate it. Just wanting to clean up the dregs before putting in new fluid. Any suggestions what I can use that will not screw it up? Thanks.

/ Flush Hydraulic system ? #2  
Alcohol (methanol, isopropyl , or about any other variety) is unique in that it will bond with water molecules or petroleum. So, alcohol would bond with the water to help carry it out. You could try putting in a quantity of alcohol then add hydraulic fluid until you can run the system enough to to get the combination circulating. Run it a bit, then drain it. Hopefully this will carry most of the remaining water out. You can then try filling with the proper hydraulic fluid.

/ Flush Hydraulic system ? #3  
I'd be leery of solvents affecting seals. If it was me I'd first find out where the water was coming from, for example a torn shift boot, and fix it. Then change the oil until it's no longer cloudy.

/ Flush Hydraulic system ?
Thanks. The water came from the rebuilders in Asia. I just bought this. Either there was a small amount of water in the trans when they filled it or their hydraulic fluid was contaminated. I think I am going to just change the fluid a couple times. I did spray around the drain plug with some carb cleaner, the kind that evaporates, to drain a little of the stuff sitting on the bottom out. After thinking about it some more, I don't want to add anything foreign to the system. Probably safest thing is to just use the Trans.Hyd fluid. Thanks everyone.

/ Flush Hydraulic system ? #5  
Add some diesel rock the tractor back and forth to slosh it around then drain it out.

New problem. I just re filled the transmission with universal Hydraulic/Transmission fluid. Now none of my Hydraulics work. No pressure. Screen filter was nice and clean so nothing should be plugged. There is no paper filter. I have the stop valve open. There is a little lever next to it. I have no idea what the little lever does. see picture. Nothing in the manuals I have. Is there some way to bleed air out of the system? I let it run for awhile and tried to lift the bucket. Held it in position open for a bit. Nothing. Everything was working fine when I drained it. Am I missing something here? Should I crack a line somewhere to bleed out the air enough to get the lines refilled ?

Attachments

• IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
   / Flush Hydraulic system ? #7  
I would say that it is a selector valve of some type,
the two roll pins would be the stops.
I would expect the handle to stop on one roll pin or the other.

Also is your hydraulic pump mounted to the engine external or is it an internal pump,
if external be sure the suction line is air tight and you can remove the discharge (pressure side)
hose and crank the engine over to prime the pump.

/ Flush Hydraulic system ? #8  
I believe that valve controls the drop rate of your 3pt. Hitch?

New problem. I just re filled the transmission with universal Hydraulic/Transmission fluid. Now none of my Hydraulics work. No pressure. Screen filter was nice and clean so nothing should be plugged. There is no paper filter. I have the stop valve open. There is a little lever next to it. I have no idea what the little lever does. see picture. Nothing in the manuals I have. Is there some way to bleed air out of the system? I let it run for awhile and tried to lift the bucket. Held it in position open for a bit. Nothing. Everything was working fine when I drained it. Am I missing something here? Should I crack a line somewhere to bleed out the air enough to get the lines refilled ?
Just cracked the inlet hoses to the loader. wrapped a rag around them and fired it. Once it dripped, tightened them up. Everything is working fine. Still
don't know what that little lever in the picture does? The knob is the drop valve. I am trying to figure out the little lever next to it. I will have to play around some more with it. Thanks for all the help. .