Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
Is there a rule of thumb regarding how often this should be done? I'm probably delinquent on this task. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #2  
I try to about very 5 years. It is a very overlooked maintenance item since coolant is also anticorrosion protection against dissimilar metals.

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #3  
Coolant replacement intervals are driven more by the coolant type. If using oem coolant type, just follow the manufacturer’s specified interval.
My Kubotas all came with standard green coolant that requires a 2 year change interval. 1st service they all got an HOAT coolant with a 5 year interval.

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #4  
Coolant replacement intervals are driven more by the coolant type. If using oem coolant type, just follow the manufacturer’s specified interval.
My Kubotas all came with standard green coolant that requires a 2 year change interval. 1st service they all got an HOAT coolant with a 5 year interval.

Just a warning from a quick look on the web for HOAT:
The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats.

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #5  
Just a warning from a quick look on the web for HOAT:

It is ALWAYS a good idea to thoroughly flush systems when changing coolant types. When mentioning that I used a different coolant I should have included your warning.
After the GM DexCool fiasco of the mid 90’s I am very particular about coolant compatibility.

/ Flushing/draining/refilling tractor radiators #6  
Yes - at the first two year time interval on my Kubota - even though the five year anti-freeze I used was compatible with the OEM stuff - I did fill with radiator/cooling system with a flush product and ran the tractor almost all day using my Wally chipper. Just too easy too do it the correct way. This anti-freeze is compatible with my 2009 Kubota OEM anti-freeze.

View attachment 582824