Flux Core Welding Issues

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction here. I've been doing a little welding on my snow plow, fixing cracks and reinforcing patches.

I use a 120V/240V Hobart Handler 210 on 120V single phase and flux core wire. Typically Hobart brand 0.030 flux core wire used. To weld 1/4" mild steel, I really need to plug the welder into any outlet directly, and still sometimes pop the breaker. This places the welder close to a wall in my garage and limits my mobility, which OK fine for now.

I find that the leads are long enough to do my work, but my welding angles and the loop of the working cable can get tight bends. And that's when it seems like the flux core will break in the machine, right at the drive wheel. If I tighten it it seems to break more, if I loosen it the wire just stops feeding and balls up. The sweet spot drive wheel adjustment is at ~3-4. I thought changing the tips made a difference, but it there is no consistency between worn or new tips. I tried a new feed cable too, with no difference.

Any thoughts? Long term I think I need to upgrade the garage outlet (which will be very easy) and get a stick machine to do the heavy work. Sheet metal should still be done with the the wire feed, so should I try solid wire and gas?

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #2  
I like my stick machine for dirty ,rusty , crap to weld :)

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #3  
Will a heavier gauge extension cord help? That would get you closer to your work, and you can also use that extension cord for other high amp tools (circular saw, etc).

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #4  
Will a heavier gauge extension cord help? That would get you closer to your work, and you can also use that extension cord for other high amp tools (circular saw, etc).

He mentioned he is already popping breakers when plugged in direct.

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #5  
For 1/4" material you should run 035 for sure or even 045. The heavier wire will feed much better. Are you using knurled drive rolls? I always use a size or two larger liner than the wire I'm using and never have any issues. It always help to have a 20 amp circuit when running a 120v machine.

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #6  
Are you sure the drive wheel is in the correct groove for the wire? i borrowed out my handler 140 and the wire feed wheel got swapped around. I tried using this way before checking it and it was all over the place on feed and would not feed, broke the wire, would not push new wire into the cable. swapped the wheel back and it works great. i use mine on a 10g extension cord when i need to, and cant leave the lights or anything else on when on a 15 amp circuit. welds better when i use the 20 amp .

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #7  
You won’t get the heat needed to weld 1/4” material with 120v/20a. You need 240v to do that. Hopefully you have a dryer plug or something that is 240v you can tie into. Otherwise scrap the idea.....you are wasting your time.

Flip the lid up on the handler- it recommends a setting of 7/33 with .035 flux wire at 115v. But I’m betting that’s 30a if you read the fine print- not something that exists on a typical house!

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #8  
I have made scads of welds (repairs and fabrications) on 1/4" mild steel using 140A /110V MIG welders on a dedicated 30amp circuit...

I have tested and abused to the point of pretzeling some of the fabrications and have never had a weld fail or even crack...

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #9  
Two things come to mind. An inexperienced welder with sub par equipment is a hazzard to all. If the wiring can be easily upgraded, go that route, dial up the heat on 220v to at least melt some wire into the joints. Too many guys watch a couple of poorly done You Tube welding videos and are instant welders.

/ Flux Core Welding Issues #10  
Two things come to mind. An inexperienced welder with sub par equipment is a hazzard to all. If the wiring can be easily upgraded, go that route, dial up the heat on 220v to at least melt some wire into the joints. Too many guys watch a couple of poorly done You Tube welding videos and are instant welders.
"Par"...What's par for you may not be the same for all...not everyone that welds/owns a welder does it professionally...but FWIW I've seen and know several amateurs that can make some pro welders look as bad or worse than some of the goofs on the Internet...!

When it comes to welding, knowledge is the key...knowing how to use the equipment available and its limitations....

Professional welders will generally have the best equipment so they may not always be able to do the best work with less than the best equipment...(experience with what one has to work with dictates quality)